• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carb sync - feeling a bit dumb.

mxg3

I was getting ready to sync my carbs with a fancy new carb sync gadget that I just bought. I went to hook it up and I can’t find any vacuum ports. Not one vacuum hose. Is it my imagination - or does my 1979 R100RS lack a vacuum connection?

I appreciate all your help.

I was getting ready to sync my carbs with a fancy new carb sync gadget that I just bought. I went to hook it up and I can’t find any vacuum ports. Not one vacuum hose. Is it my imagination - or does my 1979 R100RS lack a vacuum connection?

I appreciate all your help.

You should find a small tube with a screw into the tube end. It will be either on the bottom of the carb or on the side. Remove the screw and insert the carb synch instrument hose over the end of the vacuum takeoff stub.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of threads/pictures that show where the vacuum port might be:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?78114-1980-R100-T-BING-Carb-Question

See the shots with the horribly stained floats in the next link...part way down the page? There are two screw heads. The larger one is the idle mixture setting. The smaller one is the vacuum takeoff port.

http://home.insightbb.com/~cdpumphr/the_carb_chronicles_page_3.htm

Here's a picture with the port on the side:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?58386-Carburetor-vacuum-problem

You should find a small tube with a screw into the tube end. It will be either on the bottom of the carb or on the side. Remove the screw and insert the carb synch instrument hose over the end of the vacuum takeoff stub.

It is possible that the stubs are there but are covered with plastic or rubber caps. It is also possible that the stub is there, open, creating a vacuum leak.

Can't find anything about the bike you are riding or possibly just talking about......Anyway, been a few nights of sleeping since I worked on my early /5 but seems that these did not have a port for you to hook up a hose/instrument to. If it's that way, you are stuck being handy with your ears and the shorting method. Which, actually are just as good as the high dollar tubing/ATF/yardstick instrument that I have down in the shop...…...maybe check out filling out your profile???????????.....Dennis

Can't find anything about the bike you are riding or possibly just talking about......Anyway, been a few nights of sleeping since I worked on my early /5 but seems that these did not have a port for you to hook up a hose/instrument to. If it's that way, you are stuck being handy with your ears and the shorting method. Which, actually are just as good as the high dollar tubing/ATF/yardstick instrument that I have down in the shop...…...maybe check out filling out your profile???????????.....Dennis

Real OEM shows the carbs on this bike to be Bing 94/40/107 and ...108, with the take off port on the side.

This was what I found. I removed the screw and connected the syncing tool. Thanks for the help.

Real OEM shows the carbs on this bike to be Bing 94/40/107 and ...108, with the take off port on the side.

:scratch Duhhhhh…..Golly Paul, what would I do without you there to edit and correct.....:thumb...….there It was right there in his comment to us all about the bike that I needed to know...……..lol....Thanks Bud......:wave

Back