Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Track day insurance

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Let's face it gang, we are lucky to get ANY kind of insurance at all.

I remember a time and it still may be true that injuries received from a motorcycle accident without a cage driver or someone to pull the money from were not paid for by insurance companies. Personal injury protection on a motorcycle, what is that?

Maybe I am wrong about just what insurance we are talking about here, personal or machine. I don't know and really don't care, the deck is stacked against us as motorcyclists just riding on the street in normal fashion. St.
    Nice stories Bro,...

However, the point of this whole thread was a question of whether others could get TRACK DAY insurance and has nothing to do with insuring you or your machines riding on the streets. Lucky to get any kind of insurance at all? Most states in the USA (and I assume many other countries) require riders to carry insurance. This also goes for those who owe money on a bike as well. No different than other motor vehicles. Most insurance companies however exclude damages to bikes or other vehicles wreaked on a road circuit (track) unless for instruction purposes. Racing prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    When we got there, we of course had to wear required safety equipment and such. I had a good jacket, jeans and helmet, no problem.

I'm surprised they let you ride in jeans.
    BMW gave us a free CLASS course when we bought our K75S bikes in 1991 and full leathers were required.
    BTW I checked with our insurance company before taking the course and we were covered since it was not a race.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Lucky

We are lucky because some insurance executive or government official or other dweeb has not said, let us outlaw motorcycles, they are too dangerous. Oh, excuse me they have said that.

This insurance discrimination has been going on for years, the biggest ugliness was the Horse power ban in the 80's.

We are not protected under any constitutional right to ride motorcycles or drive cars. IF the wrong people get elected or become insurance big shots, we could be out of business.

Face it, it IS a potentially dangerous HOBBY, there is a great risk of loss of limb and death. The money resulting from loss of limb and death comes out of first the big shot insurance companies then of course out of our pockets. I am very aware insurance companies DO NOT like paying claims. No matter how friendly your agent or what the TV commercials say, insurance companies are NOT our friends.

They will make their coverage decisions based on profit and share return to their investors. They will also listen to their customers, and I am sorry we as motorcyclists are a minority. When Joe cage driver's insurance goes up, he gets mad and if he can, he changes companies. IF Joe cage driver hears his premiums may go up because of motorcycle accident pay outs, you can bet, he will be unhappy.

So far the AMA and other groups have helped keep us on the road. That is not a given. St.

Also

Regarding the start of this thread, I Understand very well it started as a thread about getting Track day insurance.

I am not subtle in this case trying to drive home my point, WE ARE LUCKY TO GET ANY Coverage let alone track day.

OKAY, maybe I have to make myself a bit clearer.

Perhaps, I made a mistake here about what was to be covered, body or machine? Regardless, I will hammer it again, we are lucky to get any kind of coverage!

For those of you who question my comments on getting insurance I can only say, I have never had a problem getting coverage for damage to my MOTORCYCLES for on the road, it damage to ME or my passenger, that I am talking about. If you are lucky enough to have company medical insurance, medicare or some form of private medical insurance now, good for you! So do I for now, thank God.

Maybe where you live, you can have a Personal injury policy written, if so, I have not heard of it. I don't keep up with the insurance company's policies from state to state. I doubt however, any company writes one in any state. I would be happy to know where one can get PIP coverage, what company writes a PIP policy for a motorcycle.

I will go with the comment made in an earlier reply, don't take something on the track you need to worry about dropping. Same goes for the guys who tear ass like road racers on the street. If you want to ride fast and hard, either pony up the bucks now, or later. Don't raise my insurance rates because of your actions. (Remember what I said in one of my earlier replies about the other insurance customers?) If a company will write you a policy, fine your machine is covered. There used to be a myth Lloyd's of London, would insure anything for the right price.

Thank God every time you get on your bike to ride you have MEDICAL insurance in what ever form you have it in. Don't think for a moment it can go away. As for coverage of the bikes, same goes. I don't think I can make my point much clearer. St.

Thanks for the few pointers as to where to search. I'm a little puzzled as to why this is so hard. I've gotten insurance for all manner of silliness. Skydiving, racing boats trans ocean etc. Car track days seem very easy to insure. I'll keep hunting

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

I have never participated in a track day- but always read the announcements.

From a MAX BMW Limerock track day announcement-

Requirements for you and your bike:
    IF YOU DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE.
    Suit - You need a full-coverage protective riding suit. The suit can be a one-piece suit or two-pieces that zip together.
    Feet – You must have boots that cover your ankles
    Hands – Look for hard material on the knuckles and fingers to protect you in falls where your hand grinds against the pavement. Choose gloves with a generous gauntlet and a strap that encircles the wrist
    Head – Properly fitted helmet

Insurance- Each rider must present a valid medical insurance card

All motorcycles must pass a technical inspection before riding. If your bike fails technical inspection you cannot ride it on the track until the failure is corrected. Please make sure that your bike will pass a technical inspection before arriving at the track.
    Mufflers required > 88dBA
    50% tire tread remaining
    50% brake pads remaining
    The throttle must operate smoothly with no binding or sticking. Open the throttle 100% and release it. The grip must return fully to the original position without sticking.
    Properly adjusted chain
    No fluid leaks (safety wire and coolant drain are NOT required)]

I have never read an invitation to participate in a track day that didn’t have an insurance card requirement.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Further

Thanks for the few pointers as to where to search. I'm a little puzzled as to why this is so hard. I've gotten insurance for all manner of silliness. Skydiving, racing boats trans ocean etc. Car track days seem very easy to insure. I'll keep hunting

Mate, I cannot say for certain why this is so. Most likely the other ventures are smaller in number of people buying the policies, (racing and ocean boats) and perhaps safer (Sky diving). I am cynical enough to bet this is the case.

Lots more people riding motorcycles, and I bet if you add up the numbers of money paid out for money paid in, they are a very tight balance between profit and loss for motorcycles versus skydivers and boat racers.

I really am sorry I cannot point you to a company that would write you a policy. I am sorry the AMA can't do it, nor the MOA.

Good luck, if you do find someone, by all means share the information. Have fun at the track day.

Oh yes, to answer, Yes, they did let me ride in jeans. Why? Who knows, I just remember Mr. Prick being dolled up in the latest BMW leathers. Oh by the way, he disappeared from the scene after some angry words from his boss that day. LOL. St.

A comment from the AMA

This month's AMA magazine showed up at my house and in it was a word from on of the chiefs regarding loss of freedom.

I whole heartily agree with the majority of the article. It is a sobering thought we could be, might be the last generation to ride motorcycles.

Thank God for our continued Blessings in being able to do what we love. St.

So MAX requires mufflers LOUDER THAN 88 dBA ... the track is gonna sound good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    So MAX requires mufflers LOUDER THAN 88 dBA ... the track is gonna sound good!
    I read it that a muffler was required if the bike/exhaust was louder than 88dba.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'm not so forgiving.

"Mufflers required > 88dBA" means Greater Than 88 dBA. They just need to reverse the symbol to " < " to say "less than".

I'm not so forgiving.

"Mufflers required > 88dBA" means Greater Than 88 dBA. They just need to reverse the symbol to " < " to say "less than".
    Mathmatics. Ugh! Sheesh!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm not so forgiving.

Call ‘um and yell at them. Let ‘em know the error of their ways. Maybe tell them you want 15% off on your next purchase to compensate for the emotional suffering.
    Maybe they will thank you for “Thinking about MAX BMW”.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    I have been around racing for decades. There has never been insurance available for any race car or Kart I have been around. I have not heard of anything for bikes.

There have been some cases where owners done damage to a car on track....and told the insurance company it was done in a parking lot or whatever.

The ONLY case I know of where an insurance company actually paid willingly for an on track incident...was a Cobra R that had a fire from a fuel line leak in the rear while on track. Rear of the car was burned badly. Insurance paid for that...which surprised all of us. Honestly, it was the fault of the owner as the exhaust dumps were what caused the fire.......but insurance companies look at fire differently from impacts.