• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Track day insurance

:scratch
I have never participated in a track day- but always read the announcements.

From a MAX BMW Limerock track day announcement-

Requirements for you and your bike:
IF YOU DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE.
Suit - You need a full-coverage protective riding suit. The suit can be a one-piece suit or two-pieces that zip together.
Feet – You must have boots that cover your ankles
Hands – Look for hard material on the knuckles and fingers to protect you in falls where your hand grinds against the pavement. Choose gloves with a generous gauntlet and a strap that encircles the wrist
Head – Properly fitted helmet

Insurance- Each rider must present a valid medical insurance card

All motorcycles must pass a technical inspection before riding. If your bike fails technical inspection you cannot ride it on the track until the failure is corrected. Please make sure that your bike will pass a technical inspection before arriving at the track.
Mufflers required > 88dBA
50% tire tread remaining
50% brake pads remaining
The throttle must operate smoothly with no binding or sticking. Open the throttle 100% and release it. The grip must return fully to the original position without sticking.
Properly adjusted chain
No fluid leaks (safety wire and coolant drain are NOT required)]

I have never read an invitation to participate in a track day that didn’t have an insurance card requirement.
OM

Further

Thanks for the few pointers as to where to search. I'm a little puzzled as to why this is so hard. I've gotten insurance for all manner of silliness. Skydiving, racing boats trans ocean etc. Car track days seem very easy to insure. I'll keep hunting

Mate, I cannot say for certain why this is so. Most likely the other ventures are smaller in number of people buying the policies, (racing and ocean boats) and perhaps safer (Sky diving). I am cynical enough to bet this is the case.

Lots more people riding motorcycles, and I bet if you add up the numbers of money paid out for money paid in, they are a very tight balance between profit and loss for motorcycles versus skydivers and boat racers.

I really am sorry I cannot point you to a company that would write you a policy. I am sorry the AMA can't do it, nor the MOA.

Good luck, if you do find someone, by all means share the information. Have fun at the track day.

Oh yes, to answer, Yes, they did let me ride in jeans. Why? Who knows, I just remember Mr. Prick being dolled up in the latest BMW leathers. Oh by the way, he disappeared from the scene after some angry words from his boss that day. LOL. St.

A comment from the AMA

This month's AMA magazine showed up at my house and in it was a word from on of the chiefs regarding loss of freedom.

I whole heartily agree with the majority of the article. It is a sobering thought we could be, might be the last generation to ride motorcycles.

Thank God for our continued Blessings in being able to do what we love. St.

I'm not so forgiving.

"Mufflers required > 88dBA" means Greater Than 88 dBA. They just need to reverse the symbol to " < " to say "less than".

I'm not so forgiving.

"Mufflers required > 88dBA" means Greater Than 88 dBA. They just need to reverse the symbol to " < " to say "less than".

Call ‘um and yell at them. Let ‘em know the error of their ways. Maybe tell them you want 15% off on your next purchase to compensate for the emotional suffering.
Maybe they will thank you for “Thinking about MAX BMW”. :brad:brad
OM

I have been around racing for decades. There has never been insurance available for any race car or Kart I have been around. I have not heard of anything for bikes.

There have been some cases where owners done damage to a car on track....and told the insurance company it was done in a parking lot or whatever.

The ONLY case I know of where an insurance company actually paid willingly for an on track incident...was a Cobra R that had a fire from a fuel line leak in the rear while on track. Rear of the car was burned badly. Insurance paid for that...which surprised all of us. Honestly, it was the fault of the owner as the exhaust dumps were what caused the fire.......but insurance companies look at fire differently from impacts.

Back