Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worthless Arai helmet warranty

Worthless Arai helmet warranty

I have had 3 Arai helmets over the past 15 years. They are not cheap but I thought I was buying the best, so I was willing to spend the $500 a typical Arai helmet costs. Besides, they come with a warranty, right?

My current Arai Signet Q developed a problem on the face vent and the plastic fascia cracked and split. Well I thought, I have a warranty and this is obviously a product defect so I’ll just enter a warranty claim. Arai’s response? Ship the helmet to us in Pennsylvania and we’ll inspect it and see if it’s covered under warranty. If we decide not we’ll charge you $25 to ship it back and $10 for the part. So all in all I’d be out $60 for them to repair a $10 part, plus whatever time it takes for them to fix it. So I guess I am going with the gorilla tape option to fix it.

Think this is a fluke event? My RX-Q developed the same problem in the same place, stress fractures then cracks. So much for Arai’s supposed “Great Quality”, and not even being willing to stand behind their product, so I guess that is just something they say to sell helmets. That’s the last time I’ll buy an Arai.

Name:  Arai helmet crack.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  212.9 KB
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT, 2017 R1200RT
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Any chance you can order the part and fix it yourself?
    I know it is supposed to be under warranty and all, but in this case it looks like too much $$ involved...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

I offered that and they refused, said the helmet had to be disassembled beyond what I could do, only they could do it.

The whole experience just pissed me off. So much for expecting a good experience from a supposedly premium product.
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Could drive it over and save the shipping?

How about going through the local dealer where you bought the helmet?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Sorry to hear of your issue. I've been wearing Arai helmets (RX7-RR and Corsair V/X) for 30 years. I had one problem about 3 years ago. Contacted my dealer who in turn called the local distributor. The distributor rep met me at my dealer and replaced the broken part on the spot. In my book, that's superlative service.

Bought it online from Motorcycle Superstore, which has been purchased by JP Cycles. The former was a good outfit. Haven't done business with JP so I am outta luck on that end. Since this was my third helmet of the same make and model it was safe to buy online, and the "long Oval" shape is the only shape that fits my head.

It's a fairly long ride from here to PA....
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Could drive it over and save the shipping?
    How far can your drive to save $25? I don't care what you drive, car of motorcycle it probably costs 50 cents a mile or more. I suppose an excuse to go for a ride would be one thing, but to save $25?

I have Arai guys give me crap about my HJC helmets. That is all I will buy. Never had a problem and they last until i can't stand to wear them any longer as they are just worn out.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by millsaps2 View Post
    +1 on Service Pavilion! They have helped out with Arai parts in the past.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheDog View Post
    Bought it online from Motorcycle Superstore, which has been purchased by JP Cycles. The former was a good outfit. Haven't done business with JP so I am outta luck on that end. Since this was my third helmet of the same make and model it was safe to buy online, and the "long Oval" shape is the only shape that fits my head.

Pretty sure J&P is now owned by the same parent who owns Revzilla and Cycle Gear.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    How far can your drive to save $25? I don't care what you drive, car of motorcycle it probably costs 50 cents a mile or more. I suppose an excuse to go for a ride would be one thing, but to save $25?

I have Arai guys give me crap about my HJC helmets. That is all I will buy. Never had a problem and they last until i can't stand to wear them any longer as they are just worn out.
    I have had a few HJC's and never had a problem besides them just wearing out. Now if I can just find one in a long oval shape, that's the challenge. Otherwise the pressure on my forehead is intolerable with other rounder shapes.
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post

My point seems to have been missed. How far is a manufacturer supposed to go? Sounds like they would take care of it (pretty much) when it got there.
    When a product is bought on line, reduced/different support is common.
    As much as we would like to repair safety equipment, most manufacturers donít seem to cotton to it for liability reasons. The OP seems to have good luck for the first two. Not a bad record nowadays.
    YMMV
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    I have had a few HJC's and never had a problem besides them just wearing out. Now if I can just find one in a long oval shape, that's the challenge. Otherwise the pressure on my forehead is intolerable with other rounder shapes.
    You and I may have the same shaped heads - and not the one with the point at the top.

I bought an HJC FG-17 which fits me very well. Might be worth a look for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    My point seems to have been missed. How far is a manufacturer supposed to go? Sounds like they would take care of it (pretty much) when it got there.
    When a product is bought on line, reduced/different support is common.
    As much as we would like to repair safety equipment, most manufacturers don’t seem to cotton to it for liability reasons. The OP seems to have good luck for the first two. Not a bad record nowadays.
    YMMV
    OM
    Actually 2 out of three helmets had the same problem, cracked or cracking plastic fascia, not due to impact or any kind of misuse. It seems to me the plastic was over stressed because of the way the helmet was made or assembled. If this was a cheapo helmet I would understand, but this company espouses how superior their quality is and charges a premium price for it. All I am saying is they should also walk the walk to back up their marketing claims. These are not old helmets, one less than 5 years old within warranty, the other is 9 years old.

Regardless, I am over it. Customer lost, lesson learned.
    Last edited by AjaxTheDog; 05-22-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Actually 2 out of three helmets had the same problem, cracked or cracking plastic fascia, not due to impact or any kind of misuse. It seems to me the plastic was over stressed because of the way the helmet was made or assembled. If this was a cheapo helmet I would understand, but this company espouses how superior their quality is and charges a premium price for it. All I am saying is they should also walk the walk to back up their marketing claims.

Regardless, I am over it. Customer lost, lesson learned.
    May I ask, how old are these helmets? I understand the frustration, but age must be considered. I would follow-up with the suggested servicepavillion people or a local Arai dealer.

HJC makes a decent and affordable helmet, but I've never found Shoei or Arai long term quality in their products. But, the Shoei/Arai are (or were) made in Japan and my current HJC is made in Vietnam. Different standards of living.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks