• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Givi top box with break light kit - concerns

discoboy

I picked up a Givi V47 top box for my R1200RT. I bought the Givi brake light kit, too, since I really want to be visible from the rear when stopping/stopped at night, especially after last summer's collision.

My concerns:
1. Installing the break light kit will compromise the water proof integrity of the V47 top box.
2. Electrical

Water:
Have to punch out the hole in the bottom of the top case for the wires to run through, and also have to drill two small holes from under the red plastic pieces into the insides for the LED wires. The bottom hole will be plugged, in theory, with a rubber stopper. The LED holes have no such provision. I suppose I could use some kind of sealer. I really want a dry top box, especially since I intend to commute with a laptop in it (once we stop working from home).

Electrical:
a) Requires violating the rear break light wires with these crimp devices. I have real hesitation about violating my bike's wiring. Smells like creating future electrical problems, which are always fun to run down and fix.
b) there is a contact that would be installed in the top box rack that the top box sits on, and a corresponding contact installed on the bottom of the V47 top box. What about water? I ride in all sorts of weather.

Will this really not create electrical problems/short out my system on the highway in the rain, probably far away from civilization at 3 AM?

I think you are worrying about nothing. Mount the lights, run tbe wires but use some sealant where there are any penetrations.

As for the wiring, I don't care for the crimp on connectors either. I generally strip back a bit of insulation and solder a wire on and tap it up.

I think you are worrying about nothing. Mount the lights, run tbe wires but use some sealant where there are any penetrations.

As for the wiring, I don't care for the crimp on connectors either. I generally strip back a bit of insulation and solder a wire on and tap it up.

Waterproof Positap connectors will outlast the wiring on the bike.

Givi tailcase with integral brake lights...

I had one on a Vstrom from 2002-2015. It worked all that time. There was never a problem of moisture penetrating the case. The electrical contacts on the mounting plate did get dirty after awhile. I cleaned them once after about 10 years. They never stopped working.

With my GIVI top box I added a backrest and a rack. Never had a leak. I doubt that you need to worry.

Mine has an auto connect. You just slip the Box on the mount and it connects via some spring loaded pins on the bottom of the box. No holes required. Very slick. Look at the bottom of your box and see if it has the contact point. Did a mount come with your box?
Randy

I would be worried about it myself to be honest.

But if you do it, use some liquid electrical tape. I have done it several times in the past with various things, including on my boat and has always done well.

Mine has an auto connect. You just slip the Box on the mount and it connects via some spring loaded pins on the bottom of the box. No holes required. Very slick. Look at the bottom of your box and see if it has the contact point. Did a mount come with your box?
Randy

The Givi V47 box shipped separately from the Givi E135 brakelight kit. I did purchase these items as a single unit from Revzilla.

Whi box did you buy? The light kit came pre-installed?

The Givi V47 box shipped separately from the Givi E135 brakelight kit. I did purchase these items as a single unit from Revzilla.

Whi box did you buy? The light kit came pre-installed?

The light kit gets installed into the case. But, at least when I did this 18 years ago, Givi sold a special tailcase mount that had the electric contacts exposed on the top. So, check the kit to see if it includes parts that also install in your mount, or if you need to buy a different mount.

Same Solution

I picked up a Givi V47 top box for my R1200RT. I bought the Givi brake light kit, too, since I really want to be visible from the rear when stopping/stopped at night, especially after last summer's collision.

My concerns:
1. Installing the break light kit will compromise the water proof integrity of the V47 top box.
2. Electrical

Water:
Have to punch out the hole in the bottom of the top case for the wires to run through, and also have to drill two small holes from under the red plastic pieces into the insides for the LED wires. The bottom hole will be plugged, in theory, with a rubber stopper. The LED holes have no such provision. I suppose I could use some kind of sealer. I really want a dry top box, especially since I intend to commute with a laptop in it (once we stop working from home).

Electrical:
a) Requires violating the rear break light wires with these crimp devices. I have real hesitation about violating my bike's wiring. Smells like creating future electrical problems, which are always fun to run down and fix.
b) there is a contact that would be installed in the top box rack that the top box sits on, and a corresponding contact installed on the bottom of the V47 top box. What about water? I ride in all sorts of weather.

Will this really not create electrical problems/short out my system on the highway in the rain, probably far away from civilization at 3 AM?

I have the exact same setup on my 2016 R1200RT.

I installed the Givi led kit for the V47 top box - no issues as it relates to leaking. I have had it on the bike for 3 years and lots of riding in the rain. Instead of cutting into the brake lights, I purchased a Hex Ezcan accessory Manager. This device connects into the CanBus and doesn't require any cutting of the BMW wiring. The device allowed me to setup both Givi Top Case led and a Denali B6 brake light. In fact I was able to wiring the Top Case so that I could remove it by just disconnecting the wiring to the top case. The Hex Ezcan allows me to manage the both of these brake lights with extra features like California brake - 4 flashes then a solid brake light. I can also control the intensity of the lights. Because I'm concerned about been seen, I also installed two sets of driving lights on the front - a PIIA and Givi Leds set. These are controlled again by the Hex Ezcan providing me with a number of options for the driving lights up to turning them off. All of these connections were done without touching the original BMW wiring on the bike. No issues with any leaks or shorts.

I have the exact same setup on my 2016 R1200RT.

I installed the Givi led kit for the V47 top box - no issues as it relates to leaking. I have had it on the bike for 3 years and lots of riding in the rain. Instead of cutting into the brake lights, I purchased a Hex Ezcan accessory Manager. This device connects into the CanBus and doesn't require any cutting of the BMW wiring. The device allowed me to setup both Givi Top Case led and a Denali B6 brake light. In fact I was able to wiring the Top Case so that I could remove it by just disconnecting the wiring to the top case. The Hex Ezcan allows me to manage the both of these brake lights with extra features like California brake - 4 flashes then a solid brake light. I can also control the intensity of the lights. Because I'm concerned about been seen, I also installed two sets of driving lights on the front - a PIIA and Givi Leds set. These are controlled again by the Hex Ezcan providing me with a number of options for the driving lights up to turning them off. All of these connections were done without touching the original BMW wiring on the bike. No issues with any leaks or shorts.

+1 on the Hex Ezcan accessory manager. I use one to control the lights on my trailer.

Back