• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Slash 5 Forks

RPGR90s

I'm rebuilding forks on a '73 /5 for a buddy and found small springs at the lower end upon disassembly. It's also missing the buffer ring. ( 31 42 1 230 751 )

Just wondering if this was an after-market anti-dive spring or something? Any problems installing new stock springs (without the anti dive springs) with new buffer rings?

Please see photo, which shows both screw plugs removed with one showing the smaller fork spring and missing buffer ring.

Thanks, RPGR90s

Photo 1.jpg

You actually don't need the rubber bumper below those springs because they do the same job and won't turn to mush in short order. I just rebuilt mine and kept the springs and like them. But you can leave the springs out and use the rubber bumper just as well. No clunking with the springs.

You actually don't need the rubber bumper below those springs because they do the same job and won't turn to mush in short order. I just rebuilt mine and kept the springs and like them. But you can leave the springs out and use the rubber bumper just as well. No clunking with the springs.

Back in the day the springs were a sought after upgrade.

Fork Springs

Thanks daz. I was concerned that without the bumpers the anti dive springs would be a bit noisy. I took the bike for a short spin before I started disassembly and didn't hear anything, so I'll go with your recommendation and re-assemble with the anti dive's installed, without the bumpers.

I had a R75/5 (technically my wife's bike), and we sold it, but man, I really miss it. Her's was a blue toaster and this one's a green toaster. Such a simple, smooth well crafted machine.

Back