Thread: Slash 5 Forks

Slash 5 Forks

I'm rebuilding forks on a '73 /5 for a buddy and found small springs at the lower end upon disassembly. It's also missing the buffer ring. ( 31 42 1 230 751 )

Just wondering if this was an after-market anti-dive spring or something? Any problems installing new stock springs (without the anti dive springs) with new buffer rings?

Please see photo, which shows both screw plugs removed with one showing the smaller fork spring and missing buffer ring.

Thanks, RPGR90s

Photo 1.jpg

You actually don't need the rubber bumper below those springs because they do the same job and won't turn to mush in short order. I just rebuilt mine and kept the springs and like them. But you can leave the springs out and use the rubber bumper just as well. No clunking with the springs.
    1980 R100T
    1971 R50/5
    G650GS
    1967 R60/2, 1947 James ML

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    You actually don't need the rubber bumper below those springs because they do the same job and won't turn to mush in short order. I just rebuilt mine and kept the springs and like them. But you can leave the springs out and use the rubber bumper just as well. No clunking with the springs.
    Back in the day the springs were a sought after upgrade.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fork Springs

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Thanks daz. I was concerned that without the bumpers the anti dive springs would be a bit noisy. I took the bike for a short spin before I started disassembly and didn't hear anything, so I'll go with your recommendation and re-assemble with the anti dive's installed, without the bumpers.

I had a R75/5 (technically my wife's bike), and we sold it, but man, I really miss it. Her's was a blue toaster and this one's a green toaster. Such a simple, smooth well crafted machine.