Thread: Charging system failures 2015+ 1200's

Charging system failures 2015+ 1200's

Putting a feeler our there if anybody has had or heard about stator failures in the 2015-2018 1200's. (Not the bolt issue) Currently working with BMW Germany trying to get a solution. They were updated in the 2019 1250's to an on demand style system lowering output until needed. The 2105-2018's are overheating from constant high output, even at low idle, burning the windings. We have lost 9 in our fleet. Curious to know if civilian bikes are having the same issues. Any feedback so I can pass along to corporate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

This is the first time learning about this. My 2017 hasnít seen such an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Part

It's my understanding that the 13 and 14 GS's and 14 RT's shared the same alternator that was problematic (the resin on the stators melted). In 15 the alternators had a new part number and the assumption is that the alternator issue was addressed. My 14 RT alternator was replaced last year and have had no problem since. You might consider whether the new alternator in the 15 models adequately addressed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nlvpdtech View Post
    Putting a feeler our there if anybody has had or heard about stator failures in the 2015-2018 1200's. (Not the bolt issue) Currently working with BMW Germany trying to get a solution. They were updated in the 2019 1250's to an on demand style system lowering output until needed. The 2105-2018's are overheating from constant high output, even at low idle, burning the windings. We have lost 9 in our fleet. Curious to know if civilian bikes are having the same issues. Any feedback so I can pass along to corporate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    How many miles are these failures happening at on average do you know? These bikes tend to get hot when they idle so that might be playing a role in it too. If your fleet is a police fleet I would imagine those engines idle a lot more than my consumer 1200 does.

Quote Originally Posted by nlvpdtech View Post
    Hi There, I had the same issue with my 2014 R1200RT last riding season, and no, it wasn't "the bolt issue". Total stator failure, windings burnt. After trailering the bike to my local BMW dealer and leaving it there. The BMW dealer spent most of the riding season diagnosing the issue. They determined that the stator was the issue. Several emails, and calls to BMW customer service produced little support (500$)of which covered 10% of dealer cost to repair. Bike repaired in September, bank account empty, riding season resumed.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    How many miles are these failures happening at on average do you know? These bikes tend to get hot when they idle so that might be playing a role in it too. If your fleet is a police fleet I would imagine those engines idle a lot more than my consumer 1200 does.
    Hi there, there were only 14k on the bike