• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 G 650 GS Electrical Problems

The Plot Thickens...

With ignition on this relay is energized and closes the pins to turn on the lights. And here is the trick used for such a relay to fall off when the starter is activated:

The ground of the load relief relay is connected to the plus side of the starter's solenoid. This path continues on through the coil of the solenoid to ground. So the relay has 12V on one side and ground on the other side and it closes the contacts.

When you press the starter button the starter relay becomes energized and connects 12V to the starter's solenoid. Now there is also 12V going to the ground side of the load relief relay and we have 12V on either side of the relay. So no current flows through the relay's coil and if falls off.

http://faq.f650.com...Diagram-V.pdf

/Guenther

Hi Guenther,

When I removed the the 2 yellow relays and tested them, I didn't keep up with which one had come from which location because they appeared to be identical and supposed it didn't matter; but it did. I apparently reversed their original order, buttoned everything back up, connected the battery and turned on the ignition. The headlights came on and the horn honked. That was exciting and I thought my problems were over. I didn't check to see if the bike would start and simply assumed it would. After putting everything back together, I rolled the bike out and washed it. A couple of hours later I went to put the bike back in the garage and tried to start it. It wouldn't start. I tried a few more times using different throttle positions and got nothing; it didn't fire once. That was really discouraging after thinking everything was fixed and decided not to mess with it until today. After giving it more thought in the meantime, the only thing I could think of that had changed was the possibility that I had reversed the order of the relays. So, I decided to reverse the relay positions to test that theory and see if the original problem returned. It did. After reconnecting everything, I turned on the ignition and pressed the starter button. It started, but the headlight did not come on and the horn didn't work. That was great news because it meant I didn't have an engine problem. Now it appears I really do have a faulty relay rather than just having corroded pins. My new one should be here soon and should finally solve the problem, or at least I hope it will. However, the next question is: which relay is bad? I believe it is probably the aft relay that is the actual Load Relief Relay, but there are 2 of them and the arrow in the picture somewhat points to the aft one, but doesn't identify the other one. I know I could simply replace the relays one at a time and check after replacing each one, but since you have such good knowledge of the electrical system I thought I would ask you. You may even know of a possibility I haven't considered. Thanks in advance, Jim Hawks

From f650gs.crossroadz.com...:

View attachment New Picture (1).bmp

Try each relay by connecting 12V/GND to the coil and check with an Ohm meter conductivity between the other two spades. I usually attach a 12V bulb on one side and GND on the other. Just in case it is a slight corrosion problem with the contacts inside the relay where the Ohm meter might show some conductivity.

The Motronic Relay in the picture is the BMS relay which is for the Motor Controller. Means, when you put the bad relay into that slot the motor would not fire up.

/Guenther

From f650gs.crossroadz.com...:

View attachment 79241

Try each relay by connecting 12V/GND to the coil and check with an Ohm meter conductivity between the other two spades. I usually attach a 12V bulb on one side and GND on the other. Just in case it is a slight corrosion problem with the contacts inside the relay where the Ohm meter might show some conductivity.

The Motronic Relay in the picture is the BMS relay which is for the Motor Controller. Means, when you put the bad relay into that slot the motor would not fire up.

/Guenther

Thanks, Guenther. The relay came today and I replaced the aft relay (Load Relief) with the new one. Everything works as it should now. The headlight comes on, the horn works, the heated grips work and the engine starts! I really appreciate your help. I live in the Kalispell, MT area, so if you're ever out this way, you're welcome to stop by for a beer.

Back