• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NAV 5 looses power while riding

johnholmes

Hello,
I bought a GTL last year and the seller told me the GPS worked most of the time. Well I works at times. When it works it works well. unfortunately it no longer works most of the time. It works 10% of the time. I got a clue last week it was working and a message that it lost connection with power. I found it interesting to get this message. I did talk to the Garmin people and they said it was the bike. the dealer told the previous owner that it was a Garmin problem. They said they put a new GPS in the bike and it worked. I wonder. I think I could get another piece of information if I knew what pins on the connection were power and ground.

I am asking if any of you members have the schematic with this information and would be willing to share? I would really appreciate the information.

John

Hello,
I bought a GTL last year and the seller told me the GPS worked most of the time. Well I works at times. When it works it works well. unfortunately it no longer works most of the time. It works 10% of the time. I got a clue last week it was working and a message that it lost connection with power. I found it interesting to get this message. I did talk to the Garmin people and they said it was the bike. the dealer told the previous owner that it was a Garmin problem. They said they put a new GPS in the bike and it worked. I wonder. I think I could get another piece of information if I knew what pins on the connection were power and ground.

I am asking if any of you members have the schematic with this information and would be willing to share? I would really appreciate the information.

John

Those things are notorious for making bad contact in the cradle. Get a really good electrical contact cleaner like Deoxit and make sure the contacts are spotless. Then see what you have happening.

Last edited:
John,

The only GTL that I am aware of is the K1600 GTL. The K1600s have their own section of the forum.

I will be moving this thread there.

:dance:dance:dance

I cleaned note the Garmin and the pins. Soaked them well and let them sit. The situation actually got worse. A friend let me put his Nav V in my dock and it worked and did not loose power. I contacted Garmin and the have an exchange program. So my old Garmin is going to Olathea KS and a replacement is in its way to me.

Back