Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Is Harley-Davidson Dying?

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I'll bet you a nice dinner & drinks that you would retract that once you ride an R18. Just sayin'
    Oh why spoil a good prejudice with reality. Sheesh!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Speaking of sales, your description has kept HD at about 50% of the market so it must be what someone going into a Harley dealer to shop is looking for.
    OM
    Says a lot about people, eh?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Says a lot about people, eh?

I donít have distain for any group that rides any particular brand.
    I do wonder if the Harley riders spend much time thinking about BMW riders though
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I don’t have distain for any group that rides any particular brand.
    I do wonder if the Harley riders spend much time thinking about BMW riders though
    OM
    I seriously doubt it. Big dogs seldom give little dogs any thought. Let me change that to "Only when they get passed by one."
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Oh why spoil a good prejudice with reality. Sheesh!
    Doh! What was I thinking???
    Greg Feeler

Left Coast Rider
    OM
    You make a very good point. It seems that whenever the subject of Harley comes up, we see multiple pages of posts and opinions.

And while you may not look upon others with disdain (admirable), the Harley riders in my neck of the woods certainly look at other bikes, and their riders, with disdain. I've found that the further away from urban centres I get, the less disdain I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    You make a very good point. It seems that whenever the subject of Harley comes up, we see multiple pages of posts and opinions.

And while you may not look upon others with disdain (admirable), the Harley riders in my neck of the woods certainly look at other bikes, and their riders, with disdain. I've found that the further away from urban centres I get, the less disdain I witness.
    Two stories:

1. A very good friend of mine was riding his R100RS in Tennessee one day and stopped for lunch. As he was just coming out of the door leaving he noticed two Harley riders who had just pulled up were circling his bike, pointing, and making comments. So, waits so see how this will play out. The first one says, "That is one funny looking engine with the cylinders sicking out." To which the other says, "Yes it is. But don't ever try to catch one."

2. When at a party or some event when I'm introduced to another rider, I'll ask him/her what they ride. If the answer is a Harley XSFVC etc., I'll respond with "Congratulations! {Then pause as they smile and puff up} You only have one more upgrade coming!" At which point they tighten up a bit and ask, "Well, what kind of bike do *you* ride?!". When I say "BMW" they will snort, laugh, and say, "You BMW guys are all the same!" Then we have a beer together.
    Greg Feeler

I ride with a bunch of Harley guys, I own a 2016 HD Limited as wall as the RT. Once in a while I will ride my RT with the group. I usually get some comments, poking fun at the funny looking bike and what not, but quite often the leader of the ride will tell where we are going, which route and what not, and last thing he does is look and me and says we will see you at the restaurant, probably 1/2 hour after you get there. Then everyone gets on and goes. I like to ride a bit faster and harder than most, having a sport touring rig has not helped my reputation at all.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

OM
    They probably don't. But I do distinctly recall the days many years ago when the Yamaha 750 triple I rode was grouped in with all of the rest of the "Jap crap."

Most recently it seems that the disdain is aimed at metric cruisers ridden by "Harley Wannabes." I wonder how this will apply to the R1800, or K1600 Grand America. I haven't been out and about enough lately to know at all.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

They probably don't. But I do distinctly recall the days many years ago when the Yamaha 750 triple I rode was grouped in with all of the rest of the "Jap crap."

Most recently it seems that the disdain is aimed at metric cruisers ridden by "Harley Wannabes." I wonder how this will apply to the R1800, or K1600 Grand America. I haven't been out and about enough lately to know at all.
    In all my discussions with Harley riders they have been very respectful of the BMW boxers. Latest guy I talked to said he always heard great things about BMW but they were "too ugly" - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my '16 is a friggin' work of art!

Ski

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    In all my discussions with Harley riders they have been very respectful of the BMW boxers. Latest guy I talked to said he always heard great things about BMW but they were "too ugly" - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my '16 is a friggin' work of art!

Ski
    The test will be when your '16 is 50 or 75 years old. We already know what that age of styling looks like by today's standard by looking at any "cruiser".
    Greg Feeler

I wonder if the worse Harley's situation becomes, the more that disdain will increase (a "circling the wagons" mentality)?
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post

Ski
    When I bought my 2018 RT a friend told me that is was the ugliest bike he had ever seen. I told him I didn't buy it to satisfy him!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    When I bought my 2018 RT a friend told me that is was the ugliest bike he had ever seen. I told him I didn't buy it to satisfy him!
    Not much of a friend.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Not much of a friend.

E.
    Probably a good friend willing to josh his good buddy with a little "funnin."

It isn't like he said it about his wife or something.