• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help removing side panel

eastbay

I want to remove my battery ( R1100 rs) . I was able to get all the screws out of the side panel except the one going into the tank. All the “screws “ were black Phillips head and required a quarter turn. The one I can”t get out is a T25 and stainless. It acts like the others but I think it has threads. Maybe there is a bolt molded in that,s spinning?

I want to remove my battery ( R1100 rs) . I was able to get all the screws out of the side panel except the one going into the tank. All the “screws “ were black Phillips head and required a quarter turn. The one I can”t get out is a T25 and stainless. It acts like the others but I think it has threads. Maybe there is a bolt molded in that,s spinning?

There are some Dzus faslteners that take a quarter turn and a cap screw up under the front of the side panel and a cap screw that screws into the side at the back of the tank. It does have threads and screws out counterclockwise. If it doesn't seem to want to come put the middle of the three Dzus fasteners up at the front back in to hold the side panel and then pull outward at the back of the panel as you unscrew the cap screw. The ones I have seen had a Phillips head but a substitution of a Torx25 screw would be easy to do.

There are some Dzus faslteners that take a quarter turn and a cap screw up under the front of the side panel and a cap screw that screws into the side at the back of the tank. It does have threads and screws out counterclockwise. If it doesn't seem to want to come put the middle of the three Dzus fasteners up at the front back in to hold the side panel and then pull outward at the back of the panel as you unscrew the cap screw. The ones I have seen had a Phillips head but a substitution of a Torx25 screw would be easy to do.
I've got them all out except the one going into the tank. it's behaving like a Dzus fastener, but won't release. I have a feeling that whatever is molded into the plastic in the tank body is turning too. I tried prying the panel out to provide some tension, but still cannot get the screw out. The right side has the same
torx25 and screws out easily.

Only thing I can think of is to get between the panel and tank to cut the screw without messing any plastic up, but then what,? I'll have the panel off, but now no way to reattach it there.

Cut the head off outside the panel rather than inside the panel. Careful use of a Dremel would work. Any marring on the panel is covered by the seat anyway. That might provide a way to extract it since you can get on the shaft of the capscrew. That is a beefy location on the tank where it would be possible to do one of two things: 1) Install a threaded insert to take a capscrew. 2) Epoxy a threaded "stud" in place to take a small nut.

Cut the head off outside the panel rather than inside the panel. Careful use of a Dremel would work. Any marring on the panel is covered by the seat anyway. That might provide a way to extract it since you can get on the shaft of the capscrew. That is a beefy location on the tank where it would be possible to do one of two things: 1) Install a threaded insert to take a capscrew. 2) Epoxy a threaded "stud" in place to take a small nut.
I appreciate your thought, but the head of the screw is not stripped, it is spinning on the inside. I don't see how cutting the head off is going to help with extraction. I can turn the screw fine, it's spinning on the insert. If I cut the head off I doubt there would be enough of the screw shaft left to fit a nut on.
https://youtu.be/gg6IMEVsjrY

After looking at your video, I would chuck-up the bit in a battery or air powered impact driver and insert a prying device in the slot. While applying the appropriate prying pressure, keep “blipping” the trigger to hopefully shock (in steps) the fastener loose.
Good luck.
OM

I appreciate your thought, but the head of the screw is not stripped, it is spinning on the inside. I don't see how cutting the head off is going to help with extraction. I can turn the screw fine, it's spinning on the insert. If I cut the head off I doubt there would be enough of the screw shaft left to fit a nut on.
https://youtu.be/gg6IMEVsjrY

If you cut the head of you will have the panel off and out of the way. Then you can have a clear view of what you have to deal with. I actually don't recall an insert at that location. I think the capscrew is simply spinning in stripped threads in the plastic tank. And since the threads are stripped turning it fails to move the capscrew outward. If indeed there is an insert (I'm not sure) with the panel out of the way and the head out of the way then maybe driving a pointed awl in beside the remains of the capscrew will hold the insert enough to withdraw the threaded remains. I actually think that a very firm outward pull will remove the thing from the stripped threads in the plastic but it takes a better view and better grip than you have with the panel in place. Vice grips may be your friend here. Maybe not but you will not get this sorted out with the panel in the way.

If you cut the head of you will have the panel off and out of the way. Then you can have a clear view of what you have to deal with. I actually don't recall an insert at that location. I think the capscrew is simply spinning in stripped threads in the plastic tank. And since the threads are stripped turning it fails to move the capscrew outward. If indeed there is an insert (I'm not sure) with the panel out of the way and the head out of the way then maybe driving a pointed awl in beside the remains of the capscrew will hold the insert enough to withdraw the threaded remains. I actually think that a very firm outward pull will remove the thing from the stripped threads in the plastic but it takes a better view and better grip than you have with the panel in place. Vice grips may be your friend here. Maybe not but you will not get this sorted out with the panel in the way.[/QUOTE
]I think, you are right, gonna be hard to sort out with the panel in place. I'm going to try Omega man's suggestion 1st, no harm if it doesn't work.
Luckily, no emergency, I don't immediately need to get at my battery of get the tank off, but I will sooner or later.

Thanks for all of your suggestions ,tried the impact wrench ,still spinning inside and no luck ,ended up putting a hacksaw blade between the panel and the tank And cutting the screw then I drilled out the remaining screw, eventually I may put an insert in and use a machine screw but for now I found a self tapping screw the right size and it’s holding the panel on fine.

Back