Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Import numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Nope. Just look at the Stock Market. This is the best of all possible worlds
    Any relationship between the stock market and the real economy at the present moment is delusional except for the folks who have figured out how to profit on both upturns and downturns. So the current volatility serves their purposes well. You know, the folks like Pharma Bro, Bernie Madoff, and the folks at Enron. They may be your heroes. They are not mine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I think we are getting off track here.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Any relationship between the stock market and the real economy at the present moment is delusional except for the folks who have figured out how to profit on both upturns and downturns. So the current volatility serves their purposes well. You know, the folks like Pharma Bro, Bernie Madoff, and the folks at Enron. They may be your heroes. They are not mine.

om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Excluding some medical products (maybe), inventory will come from the cheapest supplier. Quarterly profit margin drives the stock market and CEO pay.

In the car and vehicle world, it will be interesting to watch the possible production shift from BMW MFG SC to the new plant in Mexico.
    In my old job there was a constant battle between Quality (which wanted material to come from the best value supplier), and Procurement (which wanted stuff from the cheapest supplier). What gets measured, happens. Once Quality got extra inspection costs, return of defective product costs, and cost of production delays included in the total procurement cost, things improved.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    In my old job there was a constant battle between Quality (which wanted material to come from the best value supplier), and Procurement (which wanted stuff from the cheapest supplier). What gets measured, happens. Once Quality got extra inspection costs, return of defective product costs, and cost of production delays included in the total procurement cost, things improved.
    Indeed. And some companies actually value their reputations.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/