• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

USB port in right hand storage box intermittent?

brhartw

So, my Sena 30 needed recharging and I plugged it in to the USB port and ………..nothing. No charge indicator light or recharge noted.

We plugged in the iPhone and same thing, no charge. I cycled the ignition once and presto......charging! I changed back to the Sena and still nothing. Tried cycling the ignition once and noticed the charge light blinked on and off but no charging.

All cables and charge system work fine at the workbench.

What the...……? :banghead

2017 RTW

Well, tried a different charge cable to the Sena and it seems to work just fine. I have 2 cables and both work fine on the bench but one works with the USB port and one does not. Why would a cable charge from a 110V outlet but not from the 12V outlet?

OK,,,

After several plugs and replugs and cable switching between Sena units and the bench outlets, whatever piece of dirt, fuzz or insect seems to be gone. Now both units are charging from the USB port regardless of the cord used.

I don't know!:scratch

So, my Sena 30 needed recharging and I plugged it in to the USB port and ………..nothing. No charge indicator light or recharge noted.

We plugged in the iPhone and same thing, no charge. I cycled the ignition once and presto......charging! I changed back to the Sena and still nothing. Tried cycling the ignition once and noticed the charge light blinked on and off but no charging.

All cables and charge system work fine at the workbench.

What the...……? :banghead

2017 RTW

I thought that the USB port was only for connecting a thumb drive with music on it, not for charging your equipment, but I looked in the "Audio system and pairing" manual for my 2016 RT. It says: "The audio system provides a supply voltage via the USB plug, though which it is possible to charge mobile telephones and other such devices. Connecting several USB devices via a hub is not possible as the supply voltage is limited."

All I can think is that your Sena is drawing too much and causing the system to cut the power.

I think you'd be better off using one of the aux power outlets specifically designed for charging. I have one that plugs into that and has two USB charger outlets in it. Not exactly this, but like this...

DinUSB.PNG

...All I can think is that your Sena is drawing too much and causing the system to cut the power.
I suspect that isn't the issue, as I believe that the Sena units don't require much at all to charge 1A seems to be fine, whereas many of the newer phones and virtually all iPhones like to have 2A+ to get a healthy charge. I've seen newer phones connected to 1A and 1.5A charging ports actually discharge if they are not turned off. My Sena units will even charge completely from the low-powered USB ports on computers.

Interesting.....

I did not check the Audio system and pairing book, just the owners manual which does talk about the power outlet.

The USB port did power the Sena unit only after bench charging for a period of time.

I have charged the Sena from lap top USB with no trouble.

Is the power supply to the USB low? Does the power outlet provide more power?

Thanks

I have a Sena 20S EVO. I find the micro USB doesn't like some cables, it may have something to do with the opening and the depth of the port. I have no problem charging the Sena 20S EVO using the bikes USB port in the storage box of my 14 Wethead RT

Back