• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question Regarding BMW Modules

rangemaster

In BMW-speak we’ve all heard the following terms/abbreviations used:

ZFE (Basic, Low, Full, Full-High) = Central Vehicle Electronics Unit
BMS (-KP, etc.) = Engine Control Unit
DWA = Anti-Theft Alarm Unit
ABS = variations for generations of Antilock Brake Units

I have a 2009 R1200RT I plan on keeping a very long time; in looking at ‘critical spares’ (along with things like coil packs, fuel pump controller, etc.) I’d like to find good, known working modules.

That leads me to my question: If I found some of these modules that came off a same-model-year R1200GS - with exactly the same part number AND hardware and software revisions can they be used on the R1200RT?

The thought is even if they need to be ‘married’ to the bike using the (old) ISTA-P diagnostics computer (or MotoScan) this could save me some downtime in troubleshooting or parts-hunting if there was ever a problem.

Anyone ever done this with modules?

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2009 R1200RT I plan on keeping a very long time; in looking at ‘critical spares’ (along with things like coil packs, fuel pump controller, etc.) I’d like to find good, known working modules.

That leads me to my question: If I found some of these modules that came off a same-model-year R1200GS - with exactly the same part number AND hardware and software revisions can they be used on the R1200RT?

The thought is even if they need to be ‘married’ to the bike using the (old) ISTA-P diagnostics computer (or MotoScan) this could save me some downtime in troubleshooting or parts-hunting if there was ever a problem.

Ride safe!

I think it’s great idea. Some of the modules are a bit spendy even though they are vintage. In addition to ISTA your going to need an ICOM if I understand correctly. The chinesium ones are a couple hundred IIRC.

The current software is ISTA+ and you’ll have to either have an ICOM that has the 9 pin access or an adapter. The next problem will be to have the correct Pdat file revision that includes the bike. Most I’ve seen are for the cars.

Good luck, as I’d like to see if you can make this work.

You might want to speak with a dealer or two about this idea. My understanding is that module "marriage" needs to be performed by a dealer with a connection to the BMW database. I've also read that such marriages require a new "virgin" module - no second marriages. I don't think I'd make the investment in used modules without verifying that such a swap is possible. Keep in mind that the 2009 GS did not have cruise control, the ESA is different than the RT and so is the trip computer (I think).

I'd look for a complete set of spare modules from another 2009 RT with the same features as your bike, and plan on swapping them as a set.

Any Canbus module will need to be "paired" to the bike by the dealer & Germany
AFAIK you need to stay with the model of the bike and the series ie: R1200RT 05-09
In addition the ZFE needs to be programmed to your existing key

The alarm/TP module being the exception which is compatible to all the BMW models but still needs programming to the specific bike.

Ride safe!

If you frequent the BMW Sport Touring Forum, Dirt Rider would know the answer I would think. Post under Hex Heads.

Back