Thread: Question Regarding BMW Modules

Question Regarding BMW Modules

In BMW-speak we’ve all heard the following terms/abbreviations used:

ZFE (Basic, Low, Full, Full-High) = Central Vehicle Electronics Unit
    BMS (-KP, etc.) = Engine Control Unit
    DWA = Anti-Theft Alarm Unit
    ABS = variations for generations of Antilock Brake Units

I have a 2009 R1200RT I plan on keeping a very long time; in looking at ‘critical spares’ (along with things like coil packs, fuel pump controller, etc.) I’d like to find good, known working modules.

That leads me to my question: If I found some of these modules that came off a same-model-year R1200GS - with exactly the same part number AND hardware and software revisions can they be used on the R1200RT?

The thought is even if they need to be ‘married’ to the bike using the (old) ISTA-P diagnostics computer (or MotoScan) this could save me some downtime in troubleshooting or parts-hunting if there was ever a problem.

Anyone ever done this with modules?

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post

I have a 2009 R1200RT I plan on keeping a very long time; in looking at ‘critical spares’ (along with things like coil packs, fuel pump controller, etc.) I’d like to find good, known working modules.

That leads me to my question: If I found some of these modules that came off a same-model-year R1200GS - with exactly the same part number AND hardware and software revisions can they be used on the R1200RT?

The thought is even if they need to be ‘married’ to the bike using the (old) ISTA-P diagnostics computer (or MotoScan) this could save me some downtime in troubleshooting or parts-hunting if there was ever a problem.

Ride safe!

I think it’s great idea. Some of the modules are a bit spendy even though they are vintage. In addition to ISTA your going to need an ICOM if I understand correctly. The chinesium ones are a couple hundred IIRC.

The current software is ISTA+ and you’ll have to either have an ICOM that has the 9 pin access or an adapter. The next problem will be to have the correct Pdat file revision that includes the bike. Most I’ve seen are for the cars.

Good luck, as I’d like to see if you can make this work.
    2008 R1200GS

You might want to speak with a dealer or two about this idea. My understanding is that module "marriage" needs to be performed by a dealer with a connection to the BMW database. I've also read that such marriages require a new "virgin" module - no second marriages. I don't think I'd make the investment in used modules without verifying that such a swap is possible. Keep in mind that the 2009 GS did not have cruise control, the ESA is different than the RT and so is the trip computer (I think).

I'd look for a complete set of spare modules from another 2009 RT with the same features as your bike, and plan on swapping them as a set.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Any Canbus module will need to be "paired" to the bike by the dealer & Germany
    AFAIK you need to stay with the model of the bike and the series ie: R1200RT 05-09
    In addition the ZFE needs to be programmed to your existing key

The alarm/TP module being the exception which is compatible to all the BMW models but still needs programming to the specific bike.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post

Ride safe!

If you frequent the BMW Sport Touring Forum, Dirt Rider would know the answer I would think. Post under Hex Heads.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19