• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Suspension Inquiry

daz

Didn't want to steal the thread down below! Who rebuilds the Koni shocks for my R100T? Those $410 Ikons looked pretty good! The rebound adjustment on the present shocks don't feel as they do much.

It worked for me earlier. Go to the link in my signature line...find it there.

I tried it again and was able to get to the page. Something is hincky with the internet connection to the site...I suspect that after a bit the browser just times out and says it can't be recached. All I can suggest is keep trying.

Alternatively, I found in my document stash a link to some pictures on a flickr site of a Koni rebuild:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/getproductions/

Use the search icon just above the photos (not the one at the top of the page) and type in Koni.

Ikon will do it!

Well it turns out Ikon will do it!

Basic shock rebuild service includes disassembly, cleaning and inspection, plus reassembly with fresh oil, orings and primary seal, and new bump stops. Cost of this service is $125 per shock including those parts, plus return shipping. 1 week turnaround in-shop, or sooner.

What Koni's had adjustable damping? On what years/models of bikes? It has been years, but the only ones I ever saw had adjustable preload but not damping.

The Koni 7610-1298 was very popular over the early range of the Airheads. This page says they have adjustable damping:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/7610-1298

From their product list, I also come up with the Ikon Dial-a-Ride, but I think it's basically the same -1298 shock:

https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/product/ikon-dial-a-ride-7610-1298/

The Koni -1298 I have on my /7 has the typical preload adjustment with the curved wrench that loads the bottom part of the spring. But up at the top, under a small cover is a tiny wheel that is turned to adjust damping. Some may not know it's there if the shocks were installed with that dial located on the inside of the shock.

There were probably other models, though.

What Koni's had adjustable damping? On what years/models of bikes? It has been years, but the only ones I ever saw had adjustable preload but not damping.

Paul, my shocks are 7610 Koni. 1980 R100T. You kind of peel up the rubber band on the top of the shock. There is a ring adjuster with numbers. You would not see it unless you looked!

Ikon/Koni 76/7610/7614 Seal Kit $25 from Koni.

Also from Koni:ADJUSTABLE DAMPING
By adjusting the rebound damping one can influence the level of comfort and road-holding. The 7610 has 4 distinctive adjustment positions, ranging from comfortable to sporty, to tune the bike to your own preference. Adjustability is very easy: just a finger touch.

Koni/Ikon

Koni went out, Ikon took over their design and tooling from what I understand. Ikon is an Australian company.

I just put a pair of Ikon shocks on my R80RT. They have the wrench adjustable preload as well as dampening dial. They are very nice shocks for the price and for the way I ride, they work well.

For the cost of two new shocks, I would consider just buying a new pair rather than rebuilding old shocks. By the time you figure in shipping cost and rebuild cost, what have you really saved? You can order a new pair of shocks and have them on, faster than taking your old ones off, shipping them to the repair site, waiting for them to be repaired, then paying to ship them back.

For very high priced shocks on some of the newer whizz bang bikes, or a restoration, rebuild might make more sense. For Koni shocks, the numbers don't add up as far as I am concerned. I would rather ride the bike, get a pair of new shocks put them on in a few hours and be back riding again.

cheery bye, St.

Back