• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Improvements

“Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
OM

Next time you can see the details of a J.D. Powers reliability report for BMW motorcycles pay particular attention to what the nature of the complaints about failures are. Last time I looked the leading issues were: Blue tooth, traction control, instrumentation, navigation system, and other peripheral devices. Very little engine or driveline, but some suspension complaints, and occasional engine management complaints related to modes. A careful analysis of this data will illuminate why some folks prefer a more basic motorcycle.

Next time you can see the details of a J.D. Powers reliability report for BMW motorcycles pay particular attention to what the nature of the complaints about failures are. Last time I looked the leading issues were: Blue tooth, traction control, instrumentation, navigation system, and other peripheral devices. Very little engine or driveline, but some suspension complaints, and occasional engine management complaints related to modes. A careful analysis of this data will illuminate why some folks prefer a more basic motorcycle.

Ok with me.
I still remember when basic, now standard options were just look at as “something else to go wrong”.
Buy what you want or like.
OM

Ok with me.
I still remember when basic, now standard options were just look at as “something else to go wrong”.
Buy what you want or like.
OM

My comments about quality complaints was not at all directed at you. Your post was just a convenient part of the thread to reply to. I probably should have attached the comment as a reply to Royce's post # 13.

My comments about quality complaints was not at all directed at you. Your post was just a convenient part of the thread to reply to. I probably should have attached the comment as a reply to Royce's post # 13.

No worries :wave
OM

Basic vs Advanced Features........

Consumers Reports has had a few recent articles on the cost and reliability of repairs for bumper proximity sensors and windshields with heads-up displays. While the technology is great, reliable repairs might be challenging.

I would like to see Motorrad sell their bikes w/ something like Yamaha's Y.E.S. warranty which seems like it's the closest thing to a net-zero warranty IOW Yamaha calculates the premium based on zeroing out claims + administrative overhead but w/o profit, no sales commission etc like you have w/ 3rd party warranties. There is arguably some level of built-in incentive for the company to maximize quality in order to minimize claim, but then again there may be less incentive for owners to sell the bike at 3y and buy a new one w/ a warranty. They could limit this by having the warranty be non-transferable to a new buyer for example. But again, as a new buyer you have to appreciate this warranty is far cheaper than what you pay to Zurich or whomever. Could be many new owners have no idea how long they will own the bike, though I knew immediatley I was in it for the long haul. They will probably also need to define a service life for parts that might not be considered 'consumables' but in some very real sense are given enough miles. I think all worries about legendary problems the brand became known for disappear instantly with this model, and also they are keeping all dollars collected essentially w/in the organization because warranty work will be done by their service departments. Not sure how the Y.E.S. warrant works but I know is was cheap when I looked into it for a new FJR.

“Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
OM

The resale sucks anyway. It's not a HD and even they're not getting what they used to.

The resale sucks anyway. It's not a HD and even they're not getting what they used to.

Recently they sure aren't building what they used to. I predict that in five years their biggest sellers will be electric motorcycles.

Please note: I have been wrong before, but not always. :)

Recently they sure aren't building what they used to. I predict that in five years their biggest sellers will be electric motorcycles.

Please note: I have been wrong before, but not always. :)

The only thing you might be off on is the time frame.

Last edited:
Those changes are the ones that I would like.

I have no issue turning a long wheel base bike quickly, but most of them are considerably lower and drag things very easily.

Harley has yet to build anything I would ever buy.

The length would also allow more room between the seat and handlebars, a bit more forward lean would be nice for me.

I ride in a very hot climate and also in all kinds of weather from snow to over a hundred degrees having a beverage at hand is very nice weather it be hot or cold. I have also been known to put in days that were a bit over 13 hours of seat time on a bike. A few years ago I left my home in Texas and went to Madison Wisconsin for a bike event. When I got there another biker came out noticed the Texas plates and said how long did it take to get here from Texas, I said "all Day".

Lots of those things can be added and some already have been. I live in a state that has high speed limits, 75 to 80 mph. At 80 mph the bike is turning at about 4300 rpm in 6th gear for long distance travel a bit taller gear would be nice. The lower first would allow the bike to idle at walking speed with out clutch slipping and to make low speed maneuvers in areas such as camping spots that are not paved. I do know the bike will run on regular and I am trying to see if I notice any difference between the premium and regular fuel.

Those changes for me would make the bike perfect for me.

As to six cylinder motorcycles I have owned two prior to the RT and like the much easier maintenance on the RT than the six, particularly the BMW K bikes. Getting to the engine top end on that bike looks like a lot more work than an RT owner will face. I tend to do my own work as well and the ease of maintenance is important.

A similar motorcycle design, the Motus V4 had hydraulic valves and a high performance engine. I am sure if those guys could do it BMW could as well and valves would need essentially no maintenance.

Another fantastic plus for the RT is the rain protection for your feet and legs it is better than any full dress bike I have been on and that goes back to the days of buying Craig Vetter's fairings and putting them on motorcycles.

As the bike is it is very close to perfect. Had I wanted a different bike I had a great chance to buy one. My 2019 RT was destroyed when I was hit from behind by a drunk driver, I could have bought anything I wanted, I bought the same thing I had because I liked it. There are ways of dealing with the things I would change and I have been doing that. The idea of the post was what changes would you make to make the bike perfect for you not how you compensate for the things you find to be imperfections.

Some of the things I like about the bike the most is the cornering clearance it has and the acceleration and the fact that it comes with hard lockable luggage as well as excellent fuel economy and range. Brakes are great as well.

So far I have yet to find a perfect motorcycle in over 45 years of riding bikes, but even the imperfect bikes are far better than driving a car.:thumb

Back