Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbs View Post
    We’ll take the monkey. Haven’t you always wanted a monkey?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    “Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
    Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
    I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
    OM
    The resale sucks anyway. It's not a HD and even they're not getting what they used to.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    The resale sucks anyway. It's not a HD and even they're not getting what they used to.
    Recently they sure aren't building what they used to. I predict that in five years their biggest sellers will be electric motorcycles.

Please note: I have been wrong before, but not always.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Recently they sure aren't building what they used to. I predict that in five years their biggest sellers will be electric motorcycles.

Please note: I have been wrong before, but not always.
    The only thing you might be off on is the time frame.
    Last edited by ponch1; 05-17-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    My Motorrad

Those changes are the ones that I would like.

I have no issue turning a long wheel base bike quickly, but most of them are considerably lower and drag things very easily.

Harley has yet to build anything I would ever buy.

The length would also allow more room between the seat and handlebars, a bit more forward lean would be nice for me.

I ride in a very hot climate and also in all kinds of weather from snow to over a hundred degrees having a beverage at hand is very nice weather it be hot or cold. I have also been known to put in days that were a bit over 13 hours of seat time on a bike. A few years ago I left my home in Texas and went to Madison Wisconsin for a bike event. When I got there another biker came out noticed the Texas plates and said how long did it take to get here from Texas, I said "all Day".

Lots of those things can be added and some already have been. I live in a state that has high speed limits, 75 to 80 mph. At 80 mph the bike is turning at about 4300 rpm in 6th gear for long distance travel a bit taller gear would be nice. The lower first would allow the bike to idle at walking speed with out clutch slipping and to make low speed maneuvers in areas such as camping spots that are not paved. I do know the bike will run on regular and I am trying to see if I notice any difference between the premium and regular fuel.

Those changes for me would make the bike perfect for me.

As to six cylinder motorcycles I have owned two prior to the RT and like the much easier maintenance on the RT than the six, particularly the BMW K bikes. Getting to the engine top end on that bike looks like a lot more work than an RT owner will face. I tend to do my own work as well and the ease of maintenance is important.

A similar motorcycle design, the Motus V4 had hydraulic valves and a high performance engine. I am sure if those guys could do it BMW could as well and valves would need essentially no maintenance.

Another fantastic plus for the RT is the rain protection for your feet and legs it is better than any full dress bike I have been on and that goes back to the days of buying Craig Vetter's fairings and putting them on motorcycles.

As the bike is it is very close to perfect. Had I wanted a different bike I had a great chance to buy one. My 2019 RT was destroyed when I was hit from behind by a drunk driver, I could have bought anything I wanted, I bought the same thing I had because I liked it. There are ways of dealing with the things I would change and I have been doing that. The idea of the post was what changes would you make to make the bike perfect for you not how you compensate for the things you find to be imperfections.

Some of the things I like about the bike the most is the cornering clearance it has and the acceleration and the fact that it comes with hard lockable luggage as well as excellent fuel economy and range. Brakes are great as well.

So far I have yet to find a perfect motorcycle in over 45 years of riding bikes, but even the imperfect bikes are far better than driving a car.