• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Modes

Greetings All. I read the entire 4 pages and think I have the answer but will ask...I have new to me 2020 R1250RT with D-ESA etc.. Previous was 2007 R1200RT with manual everything and upgraded shocks/springs so you already see a technical challenge. My problem: cannot change out of MAX dampening. After reading, it appears that I keep trying to change with throttle open & riding...this is the problem. I tried changing in the garage, ignition on, motor off...still stays on MAX.
- Do I need to have motor running?
- Or, change dampening on the fly by clutching, zero throttle, straight up coasting no matter the speed?
- Use the wonder wheel to select Road or Dynamic and then spin the wheel again to MIN, MAX, AUTO?
- Missing anything?

I have a 2016 R, so the settings are a little different, but I think you have to be either sitting still with the motor running, or clutch in and throttle closed. So while riding you can select the desired setting, then pull the clutch and close the throttle for a few seconds, then continue on your merry way. I think.

On my 19 R1250RT, the suspension modes can be changed on the fly while riding.
The riding modes needs the bike to be in neutral.
You can do it while riding without stopping if you pull the clutch for a few seconds until the riding mode changes .

You can do it while riding without stopping if you pull the clutch for a few seconds until the riding mode changes .

I'm sorry but this isn't correct, the ride mode can be changed while riding without the use of the clutch. Hit the button to select the ride mode of choice then let go of the throttle (idle position) and don't don't the brake. Ride on my friends...

This shifting business must be Windoze based..... The same thing being achieved 10 different ways..... none being optimum! :bolt
OM

Actually to switch ride modes you just need to roll all the way off the throttle. No need to suck the clutch in.

Greetings All. I read the entire 4 pages and think I have the answer but will ask...I have new to me 2020 R1250RT with D-ESA etc.. Previous was 2007 R1200RT with manual everything and upgraded shocks/springs so you already see a technical challenge. My problem: cannot change out of MAX dampening. After reading, it appears that I keep trying to change with throttle open & riding...this is the problem. I tried changing in the garage, ignition on, motor off...still stays on MAX.
- Do I need to have motor running?
- Or, change dampening on the fly by clutching, zero throttle, straight up coasting no matter the speed?
- Use the wonder wheel to select Road or Dynamic and then spin the wheel again to MIN, MAX, AUTO?
- Missing anything?

Engine running, bike in neutral (covering the rear brake obviously), then go to the D-ESA menu , select the suspension / dampening settings (dynamic or road), then go to the next layer down to choose preload settings ( min, max or auto). Once selected, come out of the menu setup and watch your D-ESA window on the right hand side of your lower dash change preload to your choice.

D-ESA can be changed on the fly between dynamic and road, but preload cannot. Totally logical ��.

Hive1969

Last edited:
Actually to switch ride modes you just need to roll all the way off the throttle. No need to suck the clutch in.

I agree, but this will reduce your speed a lot

Rolling the throttle all the way off at 120 kph to switch riding mode is not ideal IMHO

Pulling the clutch will make you cruise for a few seconds without reducing your speed by much.

YMMV

I agree, but this will reduce your speed a lot

Rolling the throttle all the way off at 120 kph to switch riding mode is not ideal IMHO

Pulling the clutch will make you cruise for a few seconds without reducing your speed by much.

YMMV

Seeing this discussion brings to mind two questions. First, are all the bikes in the discussion fully up to date on the firmware for all the electronic systems? Those updates require connecting to the dealer computer, and the updates can have a real impact upon how the electronic systems operate. For at least the first few years of a new bike’s service life an annual trip to the dealer to check for updates is A Good Thing in my book.

Secondly, are the RT mode systems programmed differently when it comes to changing modes? My fully-updated 2018 GS changes modes on the fly with only a hint of throttle roll-off, with no noticeable change at all in velocity.

Best,
DeVern

I'm still figuring out all the "modes"
At the moment I'm just leaving it in road mode and letting the bike select the dampening... the roads here in central Connecticut are horrible, the throttle is super sensitive in dynamic/dynamic pro mode... scared the **** out of me the first time I really laid into it in dynamic/dynamic pro mode...lol

Back