Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riding Modes

There is something other than Dynamic mode?

I've tried them all and only ever use dynamic, mostly because of the direct throttle response.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

[QUOTE=azgman;1205916]There is something other than Dynamic mode?

Does anyone know if you were low on fuel, and had to stretch your mileage, that switching to Rain mode would help.

[QUOTE=r1200rst;1205965]
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post

Does anyone know if you were low on fuel, and had to stretch your mileage, that switching to Rain mode would help.
    I usually ride Dynamic and switch to Rain mode when it's wet. I haven't noticed any better fuel economy.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

[QUOTE=r1200rst;1205965]

Rain mode on dry pavement? The throttle response will slow down some, but if you ride at 60 MPH it will take the same amount of power, or gasoline in Dynamic or Rain mode.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Road
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

[QUOTE=r1200rst;1205965]

Slowing down should help maximize your fuel economy, even *gasp* a few mph under the speed limit.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Road throttle. I don't know if rain mode changes the power output (it does in some bikes), just softens the way it's delivered and steps up ASC intervention. I never use it, just adjust my throttle application to the circumstances. I don't believe I've ever (almost 200K miles) used dynamic, road is just fine thankyouverymuch.

Normal suspension. I change suspension to hard when having fun in twisties, I've tried soft on the slab but found it too floaty. I'm 99% on-road but changing suspension to Enduro really did help on Top Of The World highway out of Chicken AK. Not because it softened the suspension but because of the way it modified traction control settings (see the handy chart earlier in this thread) so I didn't get the jerky slip/cut traction/restore traction/slip cycle going uphill.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Road throttle. I don't know if rain mode changes the power output (it does in some bikes), just softens the way it's delivered and steps up ASC intervention. I never use it, just adjust my throttle application to the circumstances. I don't believe I've ever (almost 200K miles) used dynamic, road is just fine thankyouverymuch.
    IIRC Rain mode drops engine output to 85 hp. vs 125 for Road and Dynamic on the R1200RT LC.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I tend to leave mine in Dynamic and auto for the preload regardless of the road conditions. My right hand seems to be just fine with throttle output. I will add I have ridden it in snow and icy conditions and the feel and feedback was I thought quite good. One could feel a wee bit of slip on slick bridges but the bike was easy to control I thought at the time. The only thing I have noticed on the bike is it is more bothered than some other bikes I have ridden by very gusty side winds, I suspect a trade off to its very quick handling and very easy change of direction capability.

[QUOTE=r1200rst;1205965]

I have done this and I don't know if it worked for sure but it did help (along with slowing down). I get into this game where I set the GPS to a known gas station and I watch the miles to destination vs the mile to empty. I was about 60 miles to the gas station with 50 miles to empty and I went into economy mode, (rain mode + speed limit + short shifting) and I managed to get to the gas station with 3 miles remaining. Probably not the smarted thing to do but it was cool to watch the math going from red to black while trying to get there.
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    2020 Triumph Bonneville (Carmilla)
    AmenMoto.com

Dynamic. Always dynamic, unless it's raining, in which case rain mode. Sometimes when the road is full of asphalt patches, I might put it into soft mode.
    Last edited by MountainRyder; 05-18-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar

So, I'm changing my answer. Today I did a couple hundred miles in the Dyna mode with Normal suspension setting and I really liked that. Learn something new all the time.

The Shiftcam is a bit different

Riding modes are Rain,Road, Dynamic

Suspension is Road or Dyna

Preload Min,Max, Auto

I usually use the Road riding mode. The way I understand it, is that Dyna has the same throttle response but the ASC/DTC kicks in later

Suspension is usually Road unless it gets twisty then I switch to Dyna

Preload is always at Auto

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

The Shiftcam is a bit different

Riding modes are Rain,Road, Dynamic

Suspension is Road or Dyna

Preload Min,Max, Auto

I usually use the Road riding mode. The way I understand it, is that Dyna has the same throttle response but the ASC/DTC kicks in later

Suspension is usually Road unless it gets twisty then I switch to Dyna

Preload is always at Auto

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

DynaImic goes from 0 to 100% throttle in 1/2 turn vs 3/4 or so in other modes. I find it safer in road mode as I have to twist farther to get that power. Besides when I go to work its on cruise, I don't get tickets that way. Ask me how I know. Dynamic is definitely fun when in a on off throttle situation.