• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Modes

Road throttle. I don't know if rain mode changes the power output (it does in some bikes), just softens the way it's delivered and steps up ASC intervention. I never use it, just adjust my throttle application to the circumstances. I don't believe I've ever (almost 200K miles) used dynamic, road is just fine thankyouverymuch.

Normal suspension. I change suspension to hard when having fun in twisties, I've tried soft on the slab but found it too floaty. I'm 99% on-road but changing suspension to Enduro really did help on Top Of The World highway out of Chicken AK. Not because it softened the suspension but because of the way it modified traction control settings (see the handy chart earlier in this thread) so I didn't get the jerky slip/cut traction/restore traction/slip cycle going uphill.

Road throttle. I don't know if rain mode changes the power output (it does in some bikes), just softens the way it's delivered and steps up ASC intervention. I never use it, just adjust my throttle application to the circumstances. I don't believe I've ever (almost 200K miles) used dynamic, road is just fine thankyouverymuch.

IIRC Rain mode drops engine output to 85 hp. vs 125 for Road and Dynamic on the R1200RT LC.

I tend to leave mine in Dynamic and auto for the preload regardless of the road conditions. My right hand seems to be just fine with throttle output. I will add I have ridden it in snow and icy conditions and the feel and feedback was I thought quite good. One could feel a wee bit of slip on slick bridges but the bike was easy to control I thought at the time. The only thing I have noticed on the bike is it is more bothered than some other bikes I have ridden by very gusty side winds, I suspect a trade off to its very quick handling and very easy change of direction capability.:)

There is something other than Dynamic mode? ;)

Does anyone know if you were low on fuel, and had to stretch your mileage, that switching to Rain mode would help.

I have done this and I don't know if it worked for sure but it did help (along with slowing down). I get into this game where I set the GPS to a known gas station and I watch the miles to destination vs the mile to empty. I was about 60 miles to the gas station with 50 miles to empty and I went into economy mode, (rain mode + speed limit + short shifting) and I managed to get to the gas station with 3 miles remaining. Probably not the smarted thing to do but it was cool to watch the math going from red to black while trying to get there.

Dynamic. Always dynamic, unless it's raining, in which case rain mode. Sometimes when the road is full of asphalt patches, I might put it into soft mode.

Last edited:
So, I'm changing my answer. Today I did a couple hundred miles in the Dyna mode with Normal suspension setting and I really liked that. Learn something new all the time.

The Shiftcam is a bit different

Riding modes are Rain,Road, Dynamic

Suspension is Road or Dyna

Preload Min,Max, Auto

I usually use the Road riding mode. The way I understand it, is that Dyna has the same throttle response but the ASC/DTC kicks in later

Suspension is usually Road unless it gets twisty then I switch to Dyna

Preload is always at Auto

YMMV

The Shiftcam is a bit different

Riding modes are Rain,Road, Dynamic

Suspension is Road or Dyna

Preload Min,Max, Auto

I usually use the Road riding mode. The way I understand it, is that Dyna has the same throttle response but the ASC/DTC kicks in later

Suspension is usually Road unless it gets twisty then I switch to Dyna

Preload is always at Auto

YMMV

DynaImic goes from 0 to 100% throttle in 1/2 turn vs 3/4 or so in other modes. I find it safer in road mode as I have to twist farther to get that power. Besides when I go to work its on cruise, I don't get tickets that way. Ask me how I know. Dynamic is definitely fun when in a on off throttle situation.

DynaImic goes from 0 to 100% throttle in 1/2 turn vs 3/4 or so in other modes. I find it safer in road mode as I have to twist farther to get that power. Besides when I go to work its on cruise, I don't get tickets that way. Ask me how I know. Dynamic is definitely fun when in a on off throttle situation.

How do you know? :)
I too have been using the cruise more on my drive to work lately. I like it even more knowing that I can rotate the throttle backwards to disengage. I find this a smoother and more user friendly way to release the cruise in this manner than to clutch, shift, brake or click the switch back. I also didn't know about the 100% throttle turn ratio changing between modes - I will have to check that our later today - thanks!

Modes: New to me 13 1200GS LC. 250,000 miles experience old school.

Road or Enduro Pro for me. On gravel with my wife, maybe Enduro. Wicked Rain then Rain mode.

I go without wheelie control ASC a lot, my light stays lit day after day, key start after key start thank goodness.

Found in parking lot fig 8s, that ASC off is easier for really tight parking lot turns, also two up on country roads when we get by a side road that looks good.

Found I can throttle better two up on hilly roads in Road than Rain which has "too much backlash" which results in jerky riding.

Think I found that exhaust pipe is grayer with ASC off because I think the ignition is never cut off.

Found in parking lot max. stopping from 25 mph: with ABS 18 feet is my best, when I turn off ABS I can do 16 feet but get some rear wheel flying.

This leads to debate in my head: Should I turn off ABS because I'm good enough to stop better than the machine? I've ridden 250,000 miles over 40 years and never had electronic assist until this winter.
I know I don't like feeling that the rear brake is broken for portions of fast stopping with ABS on.

On Dual Sport single track I've learned to control and slide my KTM 250 EXC front wheel while braking say while going down steep rutted hills, I get off the front before real trouble happens.
Figure I could do the same on the GS but that power front brake does more than my fingers ask for sometimes.

Hope this helps.

To abs, or not to abs

Found in parking lot max. stopping from 25 mph: with ABS 18 feet is my best, when I turn off ABS I can do 16 feet but get some rear wheel flying.
Should I turn off ABS because I'm good enough to stop better than the machine? I've ridden 250,000 miles over 40 years and never had electronic assist until this winter. I know I don't like feeling that the rear brake is broken for portions of fast stopping with ABS on.

Abs is not to make you stop in a shorter distance, it is to keep you upright and vertical in a difficult situation.
Max

On my G310GS I have Four Riding Modes: to town; in the dirt; day long; touring. :wave

Last edited:
After reading what most of you hotrodders do I almost hate to admit it. Most of the time I have it in the Rain mode unless there is a nice curvy road I am familiar with and I use Road mode. Really have not much use for the Dyna mode, I guess I am getting old.

Back