Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Riding Modes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by khafner View Post
    DynaImic goes from 0 to 100% throttle in 1/2 turn vs 3/4 or so in other modes. I find it safer in road mode as I have to twist farther to get that power. Besides when I go to work its on cruise, I don't get tickets that way. Ask me how I know. Dynamic is definitely fun when in a on off throttle situation.
    How do you know?
    I too have been using the cruise more on my drive to work lately. I like it even more knowing that I can rotate the throttle backwards to disengage. I find this a smoother and more user friendly way to release the cruise in this manner than to clutch, shift, brake or click the switch back. I also didn't know about the 100% throttle turn ratio changing between modes - I will have to check that our later today - thanks!

Modes: New to me 13 1200GS LC. 250,000 miles experience old school.

Road or Enduro Pro for me. On gravel with my wife, maybe Enduro. Wicked Rain then Rain mode.

I go without wheelie control ASC a lot, my light stays lit day after day, key start after key start thank goodness.

Found in parking lot fig 8s, that ASC off is easier for really tight parking lot turns, also two up on country roads when we get by a side road that looks good.

Found I can throttle better two up on hilly roads in Road than Rain which has "too much backlash" which results in jerky riding.

Think I found that exhaust pipe is grayer with ASC off because I think the ignition is never cut off.

Found in parking lot max. stopping from 25 mph: with ABS 18 feet is my best, when I turn off ABS I can do 16 feet but get some rear wheel flying.

This leads to debate in my head: Should I turn off ABS because I'm good enough to stop better than the machine? I've ridden 250,000 miles over 40 years and never had electronic assist until this winter.
    I know I don't like feeling that the rear brake is broken for portions of fast stopping with ABS on.

On Dual Sport single track I've learned to control and slide my KTM 250 EXC front wheel while braking say while going down steep rutted hills, I get off the front before real trouble happens.
    Figure I could do the same on the GS but that power front brake does more than my fingers ask for sometimes.

Hope this helps.

To abs, or not to abs

Quote Originally Posted by 075038 View Post
    Found in parking lot max. stopping from 25 mph: with ABS 18 feet is my best, when I turn off ABS I can do 16 feet but get some rear wheel flying.
    Should I turn off ABS because I'm good enough to stop better than the machine? I've ridden 250,000 miles over 40 years and never had electronic assist until this winter. I know I don't like feeling that the rear brake is broken for portions of fast stopping with ABS on.

Abs is not to make you stop in a shorter distance, it is to keep you upright and vertical in a difficult situation.
    Max

Ride modes

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    IIRC Rain mode drops engine output to 85 hp. vs 125 for Road and Dynamic on the R1200RT LC.
    patm - source of info?

Quote Originally Posted by kaileybutt View Post
    patm - source of info?
    Not sure of patm's source, but I believe that's what I read in the owners manual. Now I'm wondering where I put my owners manual?

On my G310GS I have Four Riding Modes: to town; in the dirt; day long; touring.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-22-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by kaileybutt View Post
    patm - source of info?
    Sorry, I read that a while ago but can't find it now.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I presume the settings are similar for all LC machines

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/en/en...ing-modes.html
    Ride modes.png

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    IIRC Rain mode drops engine output to 85 hp. vs 125 for Road and Dynamic on the R1200RT LC.
    Hmmm, I seem to recall that HP in Rain mode was restricted to 100HP...

Ski

After reading what most of you hotrodders do I almost hate to admit it. Most of the time I have it in the Rain mode unless there is a nice curvy road I am familiar with and I use Road mode. Really have not much use for the Dyna mode, I guess I am getting old.
    Retired “Quiet Professional”

13 BMW R1200GS LC (second one).