• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Quick /5 oil filter o-ring question

nevada72

Vintage User
Pulled my filter. It's the 2 piece variety with rubber grommets at each end. Those are out. But when I look in the motor, I see the o-ring tight against the back as shown by the red arrow. And it doesn't seem to want to come out. I am under the impression that it should not be there - only the rubber grommets on each side of the oil filter - Is that correct? If so, how do I get that dang thing out?

oil filter.JPG

Well, I would use my Mercedes instrument cluster removal tools, but you may need to fabricate a hook from a clothes hanger. Or an xacto knife to cut it so you can more easily fish it out. It’s been at least 20 years since BMW changed to glueing the o-ring to the filter.

Well, I would use my Mercedes instrument cluster removal tools, but you may need to fabricate a hook from a clothes hanger. Or an xacto knife to cut it so you can more easily fish it out. It’s been at least 20 years since BMW changed to glueing the o-ring to the filter.

Thank you Kent. So I gather that the O-ring does in fact need to come out? That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be very sure.

Thanks.

o-ring

to answer the O.P.'s question, yes the o-ring does need to come out as it was left there by a previous oil filter. If a new filter is installed (with o-rings attached) and that o-ring is there, it might not seal and cause a no oil pressure situation.

RPGR90s

to answer the O.P.'s question, yes the o-ring does need to come out as it was left there by a previous oil filter. If a new filter is installed (with o-rings attached) and that o-ring is there, it might not seal and cause a no oil pressure situation.

RPGR90s

It’s more likely left there since the 1980s when filters didn’t come with glued on seals.

o rings

It’s more likely left there since the 1980s when filters didn’t come with glued on seals.

Probably right. I had an old Ford Ranger once and was teaching my wife to do an oil change. She was done and started up the car only to find oil spraying all over the driveway. We shut it down and of course, the o-ring on the old filter stayed put, and was left on when she installed the new filter and it didn't seal.

No damage to the motor. Major damage to her ego. :)

Probably right. I had an old Ford Ranger once and was teaching my wife to do an oil change. She was done and started up the car only to find oil spraying all over the driveway. We shut it down and of course, the o-ring on the old filter stayed put, and was left on when she installed the new filter and it didn't seal.

No damage to the motor. Major damage to her ego. :)

Tell her I blame the teacher. :wave

Back