Thread: Quick /5 oil filter o-ring question

Quick /5 oil filter o-ring question

Pulled my filter. It's the 2 piece variety with rubber grommets at each end. Those are out. But when I look in the motor, I see the o-ring tight against the back as shown by the red arrow. And it doesn't seem to want to come out. I am under the impression that it should not be there - only the rubber grommets on each side of the oil filter - Is that correct? If so, how do I get that dang thing out?

oil filter.JPG
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

Well, I would use my Mercedes instrument cluster removal tools, but you may need to fabricate a hook from a clothes hanger. Or an xacto knife to cut it so you can more easily fish it out. Itís been at least 20 years since BMW changed to glueing the o-ring to the filter.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Well, I would use my Mercedes instrument cluster removal tools, but you may need to fabricate a hook from a clothes hanger. Or an xacto knife to cut it so you can more easily fish it out. Itís been at least 20 years since BMW changed to glueing the o-ring to the filter.
    Thank you Kent. So I gather that the O-ring does in fact need to come out? That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be very sure.

Thanks.
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

Get a machinist's scribe - one long pointed end and the other end also pointed but with a 90 bend 1/2 inch from the tip. Use it to hook the O ring and pull it out.

Like this: https://www.zoro.com/gearwrench-scri...hoCPUAQAvD_BwE
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Get a machinist's scribe - one long pointed end and the other end also pointed but with a 90 bend 1/2 inch from the tip. Use it to hook the O ring and pull it out.

Like this: https://www.zoro.com/gearwrench-scri...hoCPUAQAvD_BwE
    Exactly what I have and what I've used it for.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

o-ring

to answer the O.P.'s question, yes the o-ring does need to come out as it was left there by a previous oil filter. If a new filter is installed (with o-rings attached) and that o-ring is there, it might not seal and cause a no oil pressure situation.

RPGR90s

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    to answer the O.P.'s question, yes the o-ring does need to come out as it was left there by a previous oil filter. If a new filter is installed (with o-rings attached) and that o-ring is there, it might not seal and cause a no oil pressure situation.

RPGR90s
    Itís more likely left there since the 1980s when filters didnít come with glued on seals.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

o rings

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Itís more likely left there since the 1980s when filters didnít come with glued on seals.
    Probably right. I had an old Ford Ranger once and was teaching my wife to do an oil change. She was done and started up the car only to find oil spraying all over the driveway. We shut it down and of course, the o-ring on the old filter stayed put, and was left on when she installed the new filter and it didn't seal.

No damage to the motor. Major damage to her ego.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Probably right. I had an old Ford Ranger once and was teaching my wife to do an oil change. She was done and started up the car only to find oil spraying all over the driveway. We shut it down and of course, the o-ring on the old filter stayed put, and was left on when she installed the new filter and it didn't seal.

No damage to the motor. Major damage to her ego.
    Tell her I blame the teacher.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

o rings

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Tell her I blame the teacher.
    She has.....for the last 20 years.