• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation For Heat-resistant Reinforcing Tape Needed

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I am running some wiring underneath my gas tank to accomodate a charging port on my handlebars. The routing will tend to get warm and I want to wrap some reinforcing tape around the areas where I have had to splice some wires together. Does anyone have a recommendation for this type of tape?

Thanks in advance!

I am running some wiring underneath my gas tank to accomodate a charging port on my handlebars. The routing will tend to get warm and I want to wrap some reinforcing tape around the areas where I have had to splice some wires together. Does anyone have a recommendation for this type of tape?

Thanks in advance!

IF you are confident of the connections and don't think you will need to redo any of them, I would go to an auto parts store and get some "muffler repair tape."

I thought of that but concluded it is hard to add after the wires are already connected.

For once in my life (ok, maybe the third time) I thought the project out beforehand and used heat shrink over the splices. :thumb
Unless something better comes up, I'm going with muffler tape.

Look at wire harness wrap in Amazon. Several options for tape wrap and woven sleeves.

Coincidentally, when I went to buy the muffler tape I spotted wire harness wrap as I walked down an aisle at the parts store. The proverbial light bulb lit up over my head and this time it wasn't the 5 watt variety. :)

Bought some, wrapped some tape around the heat shrink where the splices are, and slipped the harness wrap over the 2 wires. Easy-peasy and then sat down with a beer to congratulate myself.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks!

Last edited:
Back