• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Missing Brake Pad Safety Clips

bobs_one

I looked at my front brake pads on my 2014 RT and decided that they should probably be replaced - 41,000 miles isn't too bad. When I got the new pads, I went to install them and discovered that the little spring clips (see image) were missing from both calipers. Raises an interesting questions as to whether they were ever installed at the factory as there has been no reason to date to remove them - this is the first front brake service.

BMW only seems to sell them as a collection of parts, along with the caliper spring and pin, and want $32 a side for them. Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find them? I assume they are a standard Brembo part - and maybe even a standard piece of hardware - but so far I haven't found anyone that just sells the clip. Lots of Brembo calipers have clips which have one straight leg which goes through a hole in the caliper pin. These don't and instead there is a grove in the caliper pin and a rounded portion that fits into it is formed by the two legs of the clip.

Any ideas? +$60 seems ridiculous for two tiny pieces of spring wire ...

Clips.JPG

Go to a hobby shop that carries R/C cars and look for body retainer clips. You may have to bend them at the loop, but you get quite a few for cheap. You might even find some already bent.

Back