• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2019 XR Cruise Control not functioning - Ideas?

MotoDruid

I bought the bike used (524 miles) and have ridden it 600+ miles in the two weeks I've owned it. Today I noticed the CC isn't working, and it was when I brought it home last week. I've checked the fuses, tried resetting the race mode, tried it in all four riding modes, and nothing changes the fact it's not working. Anyone else seen a similar thing, and what was the fix?

Welcome to the forum:wave

Not familiar with XR layout but sometimes the micro switches at the brake lever cause issues. Are the levers stock units? In a quiet environment you should be able to hear a light click moving lever in/ out
And thinking about it, the clutch lever also can disengage the cruise on other models
It’s a 2019... any warranty still in play?

Welcome to the forum!
I can’t help you with the CC problem but do understand that you would like to know if it was-
Something goofy
Something easy
Something that would save a trip to a dealer
Something you may of missed
I always like to have an idea on a repair before I move to the next level in the repair process.
Good luck.
Gary

Thanks for the replies. After a quick search on Google and YouTube I figured it was a microswitch issue as has been pointed out. But I'll have to validate that later today when I get a chance to ride it.

In short, there were some after market levers fitted that were not pretty, I bought some HP adjustable ones and during the process of the install got the bottom micro switch actuator out of location, so the quick shift would work and the the bike could be started with the clutch in and sidestand down, but the CC isn't functioning. I figure that must be activated with the bottom micro switch in the 'in' position.
Will test it out tonight.

As for a trip to the dealer, well I'm in Indianapolis and our trusted dealer closed a few months ago, to be recently replaced by a multi Jap bike dealership, and whilst I'm not a snob I do have some hesitation when I look at the staff there....

Will let you know the results. Thanks again.

A lot of aftermarket lever knockoffs and any lever change may cause issues for the switches. The set screw takes a 1.5 mm Allen and can be very hard to loosen. The rotation of the switch on a small pin is minimal. There is a very small disc that is contacted by set screw and will fall out easily... be prepared if you attempt.

Fairly certain you have identified the cause

Thanks for the replies. After a quick search on Google and YouTube I figured it was a microswitch issue as has been pointed out. But I'll have to validate that later today when I get a chance to ride it.

In short, there were some after market levers fitted that were not pretty, I bought some HP adjustable ones and during the process of the install got the bottom micro switch actuator out of location, so the quick shift would work and the the bike could be started with the clutch in and sidestand down, but the CC isn't functioning. I figure that must be activated with the bottom micro switch in the 'in' position.

As for a trip to the dealer, well I'm in Indianapolis and our trusted dealer closed a few months ago, to be recently replaced by a multi Jap bike dealership, and whilst I'm not a snob I do have some hesitation when I look at the staff there....

Yep. After a few days off of being able to ride I got out this morning and confirmed it is the bottom microswitch on the clutch that was the issue. Now it's all back in place and somewhat fixed in place, everything is fully functional again.

I too bought some aftermarket levers mainly to get some adjustment on the clutch lever. I was not able to get the small actuator on the new lever so the CC does not work on mine because the switch is not depressed as it should be.

I too bought some aftermarket levers mainly to get some adjustment on the clutch lever. I was not able to get the small actuator on the new lever so the CC does not work on mine because the switch is not depressed as it should be.

There's a video out on YT that shows how to fix that. Basically rotate the flanged metal part on the botttom of the switch assembly to hold the bottom microswitch in place.

The switch he's talking about also controls the CC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjRuSZrjvs

Back