• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake fluid reservoir pictures please

Zwniana

Hi. I took my F800GS for its first service last week. Finally :) Tonight I noticed that the reservoir seemed a little cloudy or milky. I remembered it being clear. Can someone take a picture of their reservoir for me? Should I be able to see through the reservoir or does the reservoir make the brake fluid appear cloudy.

I’ll check it again in the sun light.

Cloudy after riding

After riding the brake fluid looks cloudy gold. Before riding it is clear gold. What’s going on with that.

IMG_202005_1sm.jpg

IMG_20200511_2sm.jpg

When I picked up my F700GS after the 600 mile service the service manager pointed out that the rear brake fluid should be replaced...it was BLACK. I changed/flushed the fluid myself and it is still clear after 2 years.

/Guenther

The brake fluid in the rear reservoir on new F650/700/800 bikes is always black. It is just colour picked up from the hose. It does not affect the function just looks bad. After a fluid change or two all is normal. You used to be able to see black fluid on new bikes still in the showroom.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

The brake fluid in the rear reservoir on new F650/700/800 bikes is always black. It is just colour picked up from the hose. It does not affect the function just looks bad. After a fluid change or two all is normal. You used to be able to see black fluid on new bikes still in the showroom.

Not always. Over time it tends to remain clear for longer periods. The rear fluid in Annie's 2014 GS now remains clear for well over a year. I see this same tendancy in the other F8GSs I maintain.

Taking it back in for service. Noticed the reservoir leaks on the side stand from lid. Also noticed fluid between reservoir and the base where it screwed in. Hopefully reservoir isn’t cracked and the leak around base is only leak from lid. Does anyone know what the reservoir looks like on the bottom? Can you technically unscrew the reservoir and find it connected to a hose?

Not always. Over time it tends to remain clear for longer periods. The rear fluid in Annie's 2014 GS now remains clear for well over a year. I see this same tendancy in the other F8GSs I maintain.
Note that I said always in reference to NEW bikes. After my first two changes there has been no further discoloration.

Took it in today and the fluid looks clear. Dealer indicated they flushed the system, yet i am still getting some cascading in the resevoir when i press the brakes. Doesnt flushing mean they clear our brake lines too?

Tech took off skid plate too, is this something that needs to be done when flushing brake system?

Took it in today and the fluid looks clear. Dealer indicated they flushed the system, yet i am still getting some cascading in the resevoir when i press the brakes. Doesnt flushing mean they clear our brake lines too?

What do you mean by cascading?
When they flush the system, fluid in the brakes lines is also replaced.

I guess my question is how do they flush on an f800gs. I didn’t see the tech open the screw by the brake caliper, but rather took off skid plate.

There is something in the reservoir that comes up when I press the brakes, contaminants? Old brake fluid? Guess we will find out in a few weeks or months.

Do you need a GS911 to flush ABS brake fluid? Will the computer get an error code if you don’t?

I guess my question is how do they flush on an f800gs. I didn’t see the tech open the screw by the brake caliper, but rather took off skid plate.

There is something in the reservoir that comes up when I press the brakes, contaminants? Old brake fluid? Guess we will find out in a few weeks or months.

Do you need a GS911 to flush ABS brake fluid? Will the computer get an error code if you don’t?

Bleed screw on the calipers need to be opened and closed during a brake bleed.
Not familiar with the F800GS so I'm only guessing the skid plate came off for the oil change.
The GS911 will cycle the ABS pump and move fluid threw the pump.
If a GS911 or shop computer is not used during a brake bleed it will not throw a error code.

the problem persists....

Took it out on a 10 mile drive today and noticed droplets out of the resevoir. Not sure this is residual from they filled it up, or if it once again leaking or overtightened. Thoughts?IMG_8430.jpegIMG_8431.jpeg

Over filled.... rubber boot/seal is misaligned... there is a carck in the reservoir... there is a flaw on the lip of the reservoir... the cap is cross threaded on the reservoir.... excess fluid on the reservoir threads when the cap was reinstalled.... you are continually doing stoppies. Not hard to check for all of these possibilities, but if you do not wish to do it yourself then take it to a dealer. If possible to a different dealer.

Over filled.... rubber boot/seal is misaligned... there is a carck in the reservoir... there is a flaw on the lip of the reservoir... the cap is cross threaded on the reservoir.... excess fluid on the reservoir threads when the cap was reinstalled.... you are continually doing stoppies. Not hard to check for all of these possibilities, but if you do not wish to do it yourself then take it to a dealer. If possible to a different dealer.

Thank you. This dealership is unbelievable. They told me to open the resevoir and remove some brake fluid and dry off seal. So i did that and now i am having the same cloudy crap floaring in the resevoir again. This tech definately never flushed the system. I dont even see tool markings on the bleeder valves. He simply emptied the resevoir and refilled it.

Back