• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RS Rear Brake Rotor

jsouth

My 2000 R1100RS with 102k miles needs a new rear brake rotor. Brakes still work, but it is grooved and has a severe lip on the outer edge. New BMW one is almost $600 USD (ouch). On eBay I see aftermarket rotors which are ~$65 or so, and claim to work on RT/RS/R/GS but don't look anything like what I see in the factory manual for the RS.

In the repair manual, there are three sets of instructions and drawings:
  • RS (attached to rear wheel drive) - this drawing does NOT look like the rotor in eBay
  • GS/R (attached to rear wheel hub), and
  • RT/R (attached to rear wheel drive)

Tonight I just saw a used rotor with ABS ring attached (lightly worn), a new Chinese rotor with ABS ring, and an EBC MD661 which looks like you need to re-use your ABS ring. There are also some bare rotors which look like they would have to be buck-riveted to the old hub.

Has anyone used the EBC? A new name brand rotor is awfully attractive (and cheaper than all but the bare rotor and used rotor). I don't see disassembly instructions for the ABS. Anyone done this? Paul Glaves?

Last edited:
And according to some websites the EBC MD661 does NOT fit the R1100RS. Beemer Boneyard says it does.

And according to some websites the EBC MD661 does NOT fit the R1100RS. Beemer Boneyard says it does.

The EBC Catalog lists the MD661 as the replacement rotor for the R1100RS ABS model. Catalog issue 302. https://ebcbrakes.com/catalogs/

The 1100RT setup is a little different, but I did use an EBC replacement rotor for my R1100RT and the quality was excellent. Fit was perfect.

Based on the photo that was linked showing the RS rear rotor, here's a video of Chris Harris replacing the rear rotor on an R1200C. The rotor setup appears to be very similar to the RS disk in the photo; rotor with the ABS ring on the rotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVdy5TOxpCM&feature=em-subs_digest

Back