• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 thrust bearing servicing

ebeeby

Anyone have some links to servicing the thrust bearing? Video perhaps? Haven't been in there in a long time and can't remember if I can pull the actuating rod out and still get it back in without removing gearbox.

If you are doing the thrust bearing, you can do it without pulling the transmission. If you intend to remove the pushrod for the clutch, then you will be better off removing the trans. But for just the thrust bearing you would disengage the clutch cable, remove the clutch arm pivot and then the arm, then remove all the parts of the thrust bearing. A small magnet often comes in handy for that. Not a difficult job, just a little finicky (technical term).

Please: what do you mean by thrust bearing. I am aware of two that position the crankshaft fore and aft in the engine case. I don't think you mean these by interpreting the conversation. Do you mean the clutch "throw out" bearing, or what?

It had been so long I had forgotten that the rod tip sticking out is part of the piston (once the lever assembly is removed). Futzed (Deutsch for "dicked") around for a while before realizing I could just pull on that rod tip to extract the piston and that I was not pulling the actual actuator rod rearward. After that, the bearing and then the "reinforcement" disc came out easily with a magnet. Whoever was last in there put the grooved side of the "reinforcement" disc forward and the smooth side against the bearing. This could be the noise I was hearing though why it took me 15+ years to hear it is beyond me.
In any case the bearing was in fine condition -and wet as it should be - which is what I really wanted to check. Re-assembled correctly and tested - it's quiet but need to run up to op temp to see for sure.
Those old micro-fiche are at times misleading and at others confusing. Ah well, alls well that ends well.

Back