• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

double dot image

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi Guys hope all are well, just installed an almost new (to me) dyna 111 ign to replace my 25 year old unit every thing went alright until I found a ghost image of the F mark at full advance ,with the lightened flywheel I dont have the other markings only full advance dot painted white , tried to adjust by moving one of the pick ups, I see a full solid dot and above it a dull ghost image, I wonder is it the strobe I am useing it runs off the bike battery, I have set the ghost dot above the F mark and the good one just under the difference isnt as big as the timing hole there for less than 3 degrees ,how do you adjust for double dot timing? and does it show as two solid dots or is there a ghost dot like mine ?thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

Jimmy -

I would definitely switch to a different battery, maybe your car battery. Also try the other spark plug cable. Make sure your inductive pickup is seated well.

So, on your lightened flywheel, they milled off the static timing area? Is OTC there? I would sure hope so. That kind of makes things harder.

Your goal is to get rid of the double dot...that's the beauty of the Dyna III ignition with the independent pickups. I can never really remember which pickup works with which cylinder, but my guess is that the left one, as you look at the front of the engine, matches with the cylinder on your left. All I've ever done is see where things are in the current situation, make a change, and observe what happens. Then build off of that. But you should be able to make separate adjustments to each pickup and get the dots to coalesce.

thanks

thanks Kurt, yes charging up the garden tractor battery as we speak, what I think I will do next is to adjust the left side pickup and if that alines the dots then I can simply readjust the timing, dont remember having any trouble when I installed my last ign but that was over 25 years ago and all I have done since was to check the full advance every couple of years ,replaced timing chain a couple of years ago so that was the last time I had it all apart thats when I noticed the weak spark, hence the new ign also replaced the coils and wires and plugs, so cant start and run the engine at high 3500 revs to check ign at full advance, why its Sunday and I can still hear my old Granny giving off!! so tomorrow thanks again keep safe Jimmy :thumb

sorted

Hi Kurt, well tried it this morning with tractor battery didnt seem to make a lot of difference so adjusted each pickup and hey no double dot let it all cool down and tried again on the other plug lead perfect!! so thank you for your help, now the wife wants me to cut the grass now that I have the mower out, no rest hey ho ,thanks again Jimmy :dance

Jimmy -

I would definitely switch to a different battery, maybe your car battery. Also try the other spark plug cable. Make sure your inductive pickup is seated well.

So, on your lightened flywheel, they milled off the static timing area? Is OTC there? I would sure hope so. That kind of makes things harder.

Your goal is to get rid of the double dot...that's the beauty of the Dyna III ignition with the independent pickups. I can never really remember which pickup works with which cylinder, but my guess is that the left one, as you look at the front of the engine, matches with the cylinder on your left. All I've ever done is see where things are in the current situation, make a change, and observe what happens. Then build off of that. But you should be able to make separate adjustments to each pickup and get the dots to coalesce.

Kurt - Here's the link to the Dyna III install which answers your "which pick-up" question
Eric
https://w6rec.com/dyna-iii-ignition/

Eric -

Thanks...it was as I suspected. As you view the plate, the sensors are basically on either side of the bike centerline. The sensor controls the cylinder that is on that side of the centerline.

Back