• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

camshaft tensioner removal

The Blue Max
After removing left side fairing, throttle body and sundry parts, loosened the tensioner but cannot wiggle/tilt it past the A frame. Any of you gurus have a magical suggestion besides having a cold beer while muttering bad words? My Haynes and Chilton manuals show removing said part without the engine being in the frame.

At this point it appears my only option is removing the A frame which supports the Telever in order to remove the tensioner.

Why do you want to remove it? Has it failed?
It already has the updated tensioner identified by the 15mm hex head

According to all I read, both online and in my repair manuals, the ticking metallic noise emanating from the left cylinder head is symptomatic of a worn out cam chain tensioner, bike has 168k kms on it. Anyway, decided to remove the A frame pivot shaft, after putting a thick cloth on the cylinder, gently pried the frame upward which gave enough clearance to pull out the tensioner assembly easy as could be. Had removed the tank to be on the safe side but that step wasn't necessary. Have not yet put everything back together, been a long day but will post the results once I put it back together in the next couple days.

I thought I had a bearing going until I did this same operation. Bike would make a ghastly knocking on cold start until the oil pressure came up, then it was fine. Replaced the tensioner and now no noise. Totally worthwhile for me.

I just followed the instructions in the BMW shop manual. It was an extremely tight space to work in but you can do it if you have the right sized/type wrenches. I think I wrote a post on all this a while back...somewhere in here. Postings over a year old get aged off so hard to find in my profile.

Duh! It's all in 20774's post above, the link. Anyway doing this cure my startup noises. 84,000 miles 2012 RT and you'd never know it, sounds like any other RT. The guy at the Honda dealership said it sounded "agricultural", like a farm machine. Well I'll take a tractor any day over a sewing machine sound like my old ST1300 had!

Sorry for neglecting to post result. Ticking noise is gone, now sounds like every other 'normal' R1200.

Sorry for neglecting to post result. Ticking noise is gone, now sounds like every other 'normal' R1200.

Great! I had the same result. I remember thinking I had about 10% confidence that the new tensioner would solve my clackety noisy start problem, but was very happy afterward. When I compared the new tensioner to the old one there was a very small difference in the length of the spring, but I guess that is all it takes.

Great! I had the same result. I remember thinking I had about 10% confidence that the new tensioner would solve my clackety noisy start problem, but was very happy afterward. When I compared the new tensioner to the old one there was a very small difference in the length of the spring, but I guess that is all it takes.
Spring differences don't come into play when the engine is running.
It's oil pressure that maintains the tension.

Back