• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

storage of motorcycle in arizona summer

I will be storing my R1250rt this summer in Arizona. Any issues with storing it in my enclosed garage where it will be exposed to the summer heat, or should I wheel it into my house where I will have the air conditioning set to around 90 degrees? Of course I will do the usual things such as gas stabilization, trickle charge the battery, etc.

I will be storing my R1250rt this summer in Arizona. Any issues with storing it in my enclosed garage where it will be exposed to the summer heat, or should I wheel it into my house where I will have the air conditioning set to around 90 degrees? Of course I will do the usual things such as gas stabilization, trickle charge the battery, etc.

I would put it in the house. Storage in an enclosed building may hit 160 or more degrees. The plastic parts won't like that.

It would be better in the house, but it should be fine in the garage. The heat can have an effect on the rubber components, drying them out, so check those when you get back. Hopefully you do not have any critter problems in your garage where you live.

Remember to put some 5 gallon buckets of water in your bathtubs, it helps to keep moisture in the house while you're gone.

It would be better in the house, but it should be fine in the garage. The heat can have an effect on the rubber components, drying them out, so check those when you get back. Hopefully you do not have any critter problems in your garage where you live.

Remember to put some 5 gallon buckets of water in your bathtubs, it helps to keep moisture in the house while you're gone.

I think I will try to squeeze it in the house, will have to take the front door off of the hinges and then I think I can squeeze it in. Have about 3 or 4 five gallon buckets to put in the house and a neighbor will refill them and check on the house every 2-3 weeks.

I would put it in the house. Storage in an enclosed building may hit 160 or more degrees. The plastic parts won't like that.

160? Not likely. Of course, there are always individual circumstances to consider. Do you have any insulation in your garage walls? What direction does the garage face, a southern exposure will heat up faster than a northern exposure. I have lived in Phoenix for 20 years and my garage usually stays within 5 degrees, plus or minus of the ambient temperature. Today it is 95 degrees outside and inside my garage is 90 degrees.

98879 - If you do decide to keep the bike in your house, I think you should consider the insurance implications. Gasoline in the tank, leaking oil, possible home AC power loss, and the like. Your homeowners policy may have some details which could be helpful.

A lot of expensive collector cars are kept at climate controlled structures. Out the direct sunlight is optimum and would be the biggest “threat” to prematurely aging a vehicle. IMO, anything past that is a nicety.
All these machines have had “basic” protection since they left the factory and have done fine on their long journey and warehousing.
OM

160? Not likely. Of course, there are always individual circumstances to consider. Do you have any insulation in your garage walls? What direction does the garage face, a southern exposure will heat up faster than a northern exposure. I have lived in Phoenix for 20 years and my garage usually stays within 5 degrees, plus or minus of the ambient temperature. Today it is 95 degrees outside and inside my garage is 90 degrees.

We have a newly constructed house, garage is insulated and it has a northern exposure along the entire length, except for the ends which are facing east and west. It usually feels cooler in the garage than outside and we are out here now with highs in the low 100's the past 4-5 days. It's actually 90 inside garage now and 103 outside! With that said I'm tempted to leave it in the garage this summer. I didn't think of possible insurance issues if I kept it in the house. I suspect the majority of people who live year round in Arizona keep their motorcycles in non air conditioned garages?

We have a newly constructed house, garage is insulated and it has a northern exposure along the entire length, except for the ends which are facing east and west. It usually feels cooler in the garage than outside and we are out here now with highs in the low 100's the past 4-5 days. It's actually 90 inside garage now and 103 outside! With that said I'm tempted to leave it in the garage this summer. I didn't think of possible insurance issues if I kept it in the house. I suspect the majority of people who live year round in Arizona keep their motorcycles in non air conditioned garages?

OK, I stand corrected. My "garage" is a one-car metal building and will heat up above ambient temperature quite a bit. But I would demur to those who actually live in Phoenix. The last time I was there it was 119 and not cool anywhere not air conditioned or under water. :)

I would leave it in the garage. The way you describe it I doubt it will ever get over 100F in the garage. Keep in mind the concrete slab is a pretty good heat sink and you would need to heat it up too. Far cry from Pete's tin shed. They can get like an oven if not insulated.

Hey Pete, 120F in Phoenix isn't near as hot as 120F in southern Texas!:rofl

That is very similar to my house. I have always had a bike or three in the garage, never a problem from the heat. Batteries do not like the heat, but it sounds like you have that taken care of. Enjoy your summer somewhere cooler, I'm jealous!

That is very similar to my house. I have always had a bike or three in the garage, never a problem from the heat. Batteries do not like the heat, but it sounds like you have that taken care of. Enjoy your summer somewhere cooler, I'm jealous!

Will the battery survive in the garage on a trickle charger or should I pull the battery and put it in the house where it's cooler?

It wouldn't hurt to put the battery inside. 75F would be better than 90F.

How long will you be gone? I would be tempted to clean up the battery, charge it, stuff it in a heavy plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator or freezer if you are leaving the fridge running. I know it sounds crazy, but a battery is a chemical reaction and anything you can do to slow it down helps. Cool and dry. If nothing else, bring it home and store it in the freezer!

I'm 30 miles east of Phoenix. The garage is insulated. If yours is insulated like mine, it won't get much over 96 in the garage, even with several days above 114-115 in a row at times. My garage faces west, so the sun beats on the door all afternoon in the hottest part of the day [ which out here happens to be between 2:30-3:30 in the afternoon ].

As long as I'd set it up for storage [ battery out and stored in cooler temps as someone mentioned ], I'd not give my bike another thought about being stored in my garage. YMMV

I'm 30 miles east of Phoenix. The garage is insulated. If yours is insulated like mine, it won't get much over 96 in the garage, even with several days above 114-115 in a row at times. My garage faces west, so the sun beats on the door all afternoon in the hottest part of the day [ which out here happens to be between 2:30-3:30 in the afternoon ].

As long as I'd set it up for storage [ battery out and stored in cooler temps as someone mentioned ], I'd not give my bike another thought about being stored in my garage. YMMV

Sounds good, thanks for the information everyone. Heading back to Wisconsin for summer coolness, but also have to get back to work!

I live in the east Valley and I store my bike in the garage, but I ride it from the time to time. It probably would be a little better in the house, but just prep it as you would for any other long term storage.

Storage

I live in Tucson and spend 6 months in Ct. I garage my 1150 RT with a battery tender. I have done this since 2014 with no problems.

Back