• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 G650GS windshield recommendations?

My daughter's G650GS came with the factory "fly screen" which provides very little actual wind protection here in sunny-- but chilly-- Minnesota.
I've looked at the Ztechnik and Parabellum websites and both taller windshields appear would work fine. The Ztechnik is quite a bit more money. I am very pleased with the Ztechnik windshield I put on my RT, so I'm inclined to like their products. My daughter stands about 5'4" so I'm also wondering what height shield would offer the best protection, but still allow her to look over the top shield edge?
I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has put a taller shield on this model? Pros and cons of whatever brand they selected?

My daughter's G650GS came with the factory "fly screen" which provides very little actual wind protection here in sunny-- but chilly-- Minnesota.
I've looked at the Ztechnik and Parabellum websites and both taller windshields appear would work fine. The Ztechnik is quite a bit more money. I am very pleased with the Ztechnik windshield I put on my RT, so I'm inclined to like their products. My daughter stands about 5'4" so I'm also wondering what height shield would offer the best protection, but still allow her to look over the top shield edge?
I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has put a taller shield on this model? Pros and cons of whatever brand they selected?

I am 5'7" and started with the Ztechnik sport tour shield and ended up getting the tour shield which is higher. Can't tell where you are from your post but perhaps your dealer has one or the other in stock and when things open up you could make a visit. Its hard to tell by a person's height because I think we are all a little different from the waist up. If your anywheres neer BMW of Grand Rapids, MI my G650GS is there on consignment with both shields https://www.bmwmcgr.com/default.asp...1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory You have to go thru the photos for the listing to see the other shield. You can see from the photo that the lower shield is significantly lower. I always thought I should have bought the taller shield first and maybe have someone cut it down, if that is possible.

Hope that helps

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

H has a MRA vario on her older 650 Thumper, can move winglet to fine tune.

01FEC82F-A33D-4E18-9123-BD6D28C0E9A7.jpeg

B4373DFD-BB41-41A1-BDA5-CD0701C9309F.jpeg

Saddle height and torso length variables change what works for some on perfect height quest
She had a tall Cee-Bailey that we cut down a few times before she was happy with it... then I managed to break it :banghead

Last edited:
Thanks for windshield advice.

Appreciate the quick replies. It's been a chilly spring and we need to get a windshield on my daughter's GS ASAP, so we can get out and "social distance" the BMW way!

Chris O.

Back