Thread: Greetings From Baton Rouge

Greetings From Baton Rouge

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I don't own a bike yet but I am looking for an airhead and I figured since I might as well join up.

Anyone here a member of the Swamp Scooters or Gulf South?

Thanks

Welcome from Newfoundland. There are a lot of airheads out there for sale, I follow a Craigslist airhead finds thread on ADV.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Welcome from the coast of Kansas. Your local riding area is flatter than mine, but never hear yours referred to as fly-over country. Why is that?

Glad to have you aboard.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Local Airmarshel

The Airheads Beemer Club Airmarshel for Louisiana is from Mandeville, I bet he would be very helpful

BB273764-3714-44C4-922F-AD222004F521.jpg

Yup the Air Marshalls are friendly and a bunch of them have been doing Zoom meetings for the last few Wednesdays.

Welcome from Illinois. Went to the Swamp Scooter's rally beginning in 2004. Went back many times. Great folks hosting great times.
    Chuck Manley
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Welcome from Newfoundland. There are a lot of airheads out there for sale, I follow a Craigslist airhead finds thread on ADV.

Thanks, hope y'all are staying warm up there. What is ADV?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Welcome from the coast of Kansas. Your local riding area is flatter than mine, but never hear yours referred to as fly-over country. Why is that?

Glad to have you aboard.
    Appreciate it. It is probably because we have Gumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    The Airheads Beemer Club Airmarshel for Louisiana is from Mandeville, I bet he would be very helpful

BB273764-3714-44C4-922F-AD222004F521.jpg

Thanks, I also joined airheads. Will shoot him an email.

Yup the Air Marshalls are friendly and a bunch of them have been doing Zoom meetings for the last few Wednesdays.

Awesome. I've noticed some clubs can be a little closed off to new people and sometimes be down right ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    Welcome from Illinois. Went to the Swamp Scooter's rally beginning in 2004. Went back many times. Great folks hosting great times.

I bet you ate some good food. I've tried to get ahold of Swamp Scooter but there Facebook doesn't look active and website is disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by hubigpie View Post
    I bet you ate some good food. I've tried to get ahold of Swamp Scooter but there Facebook doesn't look active and website is disabled.
    Yes the food at the rally and local eateries was great!
    Chuck Manley
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

ADV refers to Adventurerider.com, it is the biggest and best Moto forum out there with over 350 000 members around the world. You will find no better location for all things Moto with the primary focus being ADV but including everything. I am constantly amazed at the incredibly high level of intelligence, knowledge and experience of inmates as the members of the asylum call themselves. I have been a member for about 14 years with close to 13000 post so I am certainly a know person in certain circles. My username is the same on all forums I'm a member of so I am easy to find.

Go check it out, you'll find innumerable rabbit holes to go down. I have a build thread about our Moto B&B on there too.

ADV refers to Adventurerider.com, it is the biggest and best Moto forum out there with over 350 000 members around the world. You will find no better location for all things Moto with the primary focus being ADV but including everything. I am constantly amazed at the incredibly high level of intelligence, knowledge and experience of inmates as the members of the asylum call themselves. I have been a member for about 14 years with close to 13000 post so I am certainly a know person in certain circles. My username is the same on all forums I'm a member of so I am easy to find.

Go check it out, you'll find innumerable rabbit holes to go down. I have a build thread about our Moto B&B on there too.
    Awesome, I like going down rabbit holes. Are there any books you recommend? It seems the reviews of the bible and buyers guide aren't that favorable.

Ok, another little rabbit hole. I've read a fair number of Moto themed books and if you're looking at getting a GS you could start with Chris Scott's "Adventure Motorcycling Handbook" some of it's a bit dated but I still enjoy it. He also wrote "Sahara Overland" , Desert Travels: Motorcycle Journeys in the Sahara and West Africa" and recently released "The Street Riding Years: Despatching through 80's London" all of which I've read and enjoyed. Chantal Simons wrote "She'll be Right! Tales and Thoughts of a Woman's Motorcycle Adventure Down Under" Another is "Long Way Back" by Charlie Boorman. Not long ago Elspeth Baird released "Lone Rider: The First British Woman to Motorcycle Around the World" Lois Pryce is well known for her book: "Lois on the Loose" but her book "Revolutionary Ride" is also interesting. If you have any interest in the Dakar I would recommend "Tales from the Bivouac" by Ted Johnson. And on a completely different topic but an incredible story of one man's will to survive is "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.

There are plenty more but that's what I can dig out of my memory and my Kindle.