• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

C650GT Belt maintenance

richardus

Hi guys,

Im coming up on 15000 kms on my bike now (C650GT) and I've been reading snippits about how the CV belt should be changed or adjusted somehow at some point, some suggesting around this time. I am currently having no issues with the bike, no loss of power or anything, but have been warned that the belt could suddenly break if I don't do this? Im having a hard time believing that a BMW machine would need such a major job at only 15k. Does anyone know more about whether I should be concerned about this and plan for it? The belt alone can run me $700-900 here in Canada to get one to my door, then who knows how many thousand to have it all done. Makes me lean towards trading in the bike rather than go through all that expense at only 15-20k. Am I over-reacting?

There seems to be very little info online or otherwise as to a maintenance schedule for this bike. I've changed the oil and filter at 10k and changed the front tire, but that's about it so far.

When I look it up it shows replacing the belt and rollers every 20,000 km.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you look that up? I'd like to find a proper maintenance schedule for this bike

When I look it up it shows replacing the belt and rollers every 20,000 km.

So if this is the guideline, unless I run into any serious issues such as loss of power or heaven forbid the belt breaks, I should be good for at least another 5000 kms.

The belt and rollers should only run me about $300-350 on ebay from Taiwan or China, and whatever labor for my bike shop to do it (I'm not skilled enough to do this myself)

I could have the bike totally renewed for under $1000 which is a lot cheaper than trading it in.

If your talking to me, I looked up a Riders Manual.
Service schedules are usually toward the back of the Riders Manual.

The parts fiches shows $398 US for a belt . $598 Canadian??
Rollers are $118 US.

Prices are all over the place on Ebay but looks like I can get one for around $150 CAD, some have free shipping, from Taiwan or China.

Rollers about $100 CAD and labour from the bike shop, depending how long this job takes them. Im hoping to do this for $1000 CAD when done.

On the F800 bikes with belts, replacement is at 40K. I have heard of some going as long as 60K. I would get a service & repair manual for that scooter. Also it should show you how to check the belt tension and rollers.

Prices are all over the place on Ebay but looks like I can get one for around $150 CAD, some have free shipping, from Taiwan or China.

Rollers about $100 CAD and labour from the bike shop, depending how long this job takes them. Im hoping to do this for $1000 CAD when done.

I would not be comfortable with buying a belt from China or Taiwan but that's your call.
If you don't get any replies here from scooter owners about a good place to buy a belt other than BMW check on the Adventure Rider site.
They have a active section for scooters. https://advrider.com/f/forums/battle-scooters.36/
Ask them where's a good place to purchase a aftermarket belt.

There is a belt out of Italy it is the real thing. I got mine with duty and taxes under 200 Canadian. And yes the belt will go on a long time and not break. It will damage your variators and you will need to replace them.

If you look closely at the edge of a new belt there is a small flat at the top edge. As the belt wears this small flat will also, if it wears to far that the flat disappears then it will cut into the variators.

I would not be comfortable with buying a belt from China or Taiwan but that's your call.
If you don't get any replies here from scooter owners about a good place to buy a belt other than BMW check on the Adventure Rider site.
They have a active section for scooters. https://advrider.com/f/forums/battle-scooters.36/

The entire 650 drivetrain came from Taiwan (Kymco) so I wouldn't be too concerned about a getting a decent belt or rollers from there. Heat is hard on belts. Most scooter CVT belts are air-cooled, so keeping the filter clean to allow for cooling airflow is important.

The BMW 650 scooter also uses a conventional chain for final drive and I believe nylon blocks maintain tension, sort of like an old Harley primary drive. There is a maintenance procedure to adjust or replace the chain routinely as well.

Back