• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Squealing Brakes

RPGR90s

Although I've owned my '74 R90s for almost 40 years now, (140k), I've never been able to completely solve or even reduce the amount of front brake squealing. I've tried adding the goop on the rear of the pads, checked the solid (oem discs) for warpage (there is none), different pads, clean the pads and rotors with brake cleaner, and even some very fine sandpaper to dress the pads and rotors, all to no avail.

I will see the squealing abate for about 20 miles or so, right after cleaning the pads and rotors with brake cleaner, but it always comes back. What's really strange is even rolling the bike down the driveway, and if I tap the front brake, it squeals.

The pads are adjusted correctly in alignment with the rotors and overall, the front brakes work excellent for a 40 year old bike and don't squeal when I grab a handful. It's just that initial pulling of the lever that seems to be causing the problem.

Would appreciate any insight. I currently have EBC pads on her.

Thanks,
RPGR90s

brake squeal

Hello, looks like you have done everything right , I have a 1977 r100 /s and it would squeal' this was years ago, cant remember what I did to cure it, but what I do do and for the last 30 plus years when I change the front tire I mark the front disc,s then reverse them side to side and the twelve / six oclock bolt holes the clean not only the brake surface but also where the disc mounts there useualy fuzz corrosion when all is back together readjust brake pads this also has helped with warpage in the past I also use EBC pads make sure the callaper is clean and pivot pin greased perhaps some on the little round pads ,:scratch so best of luck Jimmy

The squeal is usually caused by the back of the pad vibrating against the caliper piston. They make anti-squeal to put on the back of the pad backing plate. You might try some of it.

brakes

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

yes, I have tried the anti squeal goop before and it doesn't help.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

yes, I have tried the anti squeal goop before and it doesn't help.

Since the squeal usually comes from a vibration of metal against metal - check that every thing is tight. Disk fasteners, caliper fasteners, etc.

Squealing

Since the squeal usually comes from a vibration of metal against metal - check that every thing is tight. Disk fasteners, caliper fasteners, etc.

Thanks Paul,

I've checked the calipers for looseness on the adjusting pins. No slop or looseness
Up and down movement of the calipers with respect to their fit on the fork legs. The left caliper has about .003" up/down movement. The right caliper had about .015". That's attributable to the buttons on the calipers being a bit worn.

I've been experimenting with shims that attach to the foks leg (caliper opening) and have them both at about .002" clearance. That would take care of any clunking when first applying the brakes I would believe and the squealing hasn't changed if the calipers have a lot of play or after I've shimmed them.

I tend to think it's pad or rotor related because all the noise disappears if I clean the pads and rotors with brake cleaner. Well, it disappears for about 20 miles, but comes right back.

Maybe if someone could tell me which pads they're using (other than EBC), I can try those.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

Have you always used EBC pads? Has the squeal always been present for as long as you've had the bike?

In my case, single ATE on my /7...I've always had OEM pads and don't recall any periods of squealing. I've had to overhaul the caliper at least a couple of times over the years. Typically the overhaul is a cleaning with new seal and pads. Once I've had to replace the piston...was able to get that as a single piece the last time. I've never used (that I can recall) any goop or anti-squeal paste on the backside of the pad. I've done my best to align the eccentric even though I have found that process to be a bit of a shot in the dark. I think I got better at it last time.

squeals like a pig

Have you always used EBC pads? Has the squeal always been present for as long as you've had the bike?

In my case, single ATE on my /7...I've always had OEM pads and don't recall any periods of squealing. I've had to overhaul the caliper at least a couple of times over the years. Typically the overhaul is a cleaning with new seal and pads. Once I've had to replace the piston...was able to get that as a single piece the last time. I've never used (that I can recall) any goop or anti-squeal paste on the backside of the pad. I've done my best to align the eccentric even though I have found that process to be a bit of a shot in the dark. I think I got better at it last time.

I believe I've had EBC pads for about 10 years. Yes, the bike does seem worse with the EBC's. The Ferodo oem's I had one for years prior were a bit quieter but didn't grab worth a darn.

I overhauled the calipers about twenty years ago just to see how things were inside and was pleasantly surprised to see perfect pistons (no pitting) and smooth, clean bores. I guess there are benefits to flushing the brake fluid annually.

And I've tried anit-squeal paste on the back of these EBC's with no success.

Thanks,

RPG

Hi all, I noticed your topic and am having a similar issue with my 1980 R65 which also has a single disc ATE setup. I have only had the bike about a year and have not had the brakes apart yet but will take a look to see what brake pads I have in case that matters. Mine sounds like a loud harmonica at slow (walking speeds) going forward or backward. Thanks for responses to the OP which also is helping me get mine sorted.

Vintage Brake

Contact Michael Morris @ Vintage Brake in Sonora Ca. WWW.Vintage brake.com He has tips on his website for prepping your rotors & pads prior to installation. Also has Ferodo pads for your application. For ATE brakes the Ferodo pad is FDB155P

Larry Vampbell
Vacaville Ca.

squealing front brake

Assuming all has been checked for proper assembly/fit; then my one comment at this point would be:
How often do you use the brake fairly hard, from a decent speed? If you don't make a full stop now and then from, say, 70 mph, then the surface of the pads will change chemically, and tend to squeal, and it can be quite loud.

I'd make some additional comments about measurements that are NOT 'in the books' ...but will hold off on that nasty subject.
Snowbum

brakes

Assuming all has been checked for proper assembly/fit; then my one comment at this point would be:
How often do you use the brake fairly hard, from a decent speed? If you don't make a full stop now and then from, say, 70 mph, then the surface of the pads will change chemically, and tend to squeal, and it can be quite loud.

I'd make some additional comments about measurements that are NOT 'in the books' ...but will hold off on that nasty subject.
Snowbum

I'm definitely more of a "downshift for braking" type of rider, so I don't do many 70mph full stops with the brakes. I'm going out for a ride today and I'll do some of those types of stops to see if things improve any.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

brakes

Contact Michael Morris @ Vintage Brake in Sonora Ca. WWW.Vintage brake.com He has tips on his website for prepping your rotors & pads prior to installation. Also has Ferodo pads for your application. For ATE brakes the Ferodo pad is FDB155P

Larry Vampbell
Vacaville Ca.

Thanks Larry,

I have a call into Michael to see what he recommends.

RPGR90s

Update on Squealing Brakes

I contacted Michael at Vintage Brakes and he recommended a set of new Ferodo pads. Also, he said I should sand the rotors (200 grit) and finish with acetone cleaner.

New pads were installed and then bedded in through the course of a 50 mile ride on local country roads.

There is now ZERO squeaking at any speed and more importantly, the brakes are much more powerful.

I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

I contacted Michael at Vintage Brakes and he recommended a set of new Ferodo pads. Also, he said I should sand the rotors (200 grit) and finish with acetone cleaner.

New pads were installed and then bedded in through the course of a 50 mile ride on local country roads.

There is now ZERO squeaking at any speed and more importantly, the brakes are much more powerful.

I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

Excellent! Thanks for reporting this result to us.

Update on Squealing Brakes

Thanks to all of YOU and LCampbell for the Vintage Brake contact. Michael is very informative and helpful.

Back