• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike dies at stop lights

dddoggett

TX Rider
Have a 2007 F650 Dakar. When I come to a stop, RPMS drop to around 1,100, flutters for a few seconds, then drops to 0 and the bike dies. Can restart and go on, but happens at every stop unless I manually keep the revs up? New gas and same problem, so not fuel related. Ideas?

More information

Miles on bike? Service history complete? Any past problems with electric or fuel injection? Crashed in the past? Owned since new? GS 911?

Stalling problem solved g650gs

Hi all, I was having the same problem this week with the 2015 g650gs I bought recently. Every time I pulled in the clutch, the bike was stalling. The technique mentioned in this thread worked perfectly:

1. Turn off bike if running
2. Turn key to on position but do not start
3. Twist throttle three times
4. Press start button without touching throttle

After trying this today, the idle returned to normal and bike did not stall.

Brilliant, thank you all

additional info

Hi there,

I have also recently experienced similar issues with my 2009 G650GS, my bike has just over 13k miles. I experienced this at one point and thought it was fuel level, had my wife deliver me some fuel and it only took about 3 gal. After filling up all good, changed to high octane fuel thinking that may be better for the engine, then experienced the problem again. But this time I clocked miles at 178 miles since full and pulled into fill up and now fine again.

Could there be a problem with the fuel pump, hose not sitting low enough to get me to the reserve level and actually turn on the low fuel light? I will be monitoring the 178 ,mile mark again to perhaps avoid the issue but nerve racking nonetheless.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi there,

I have also recently experienced similar issues with my 2009 G650GS, my bike has just over 13k miles. I experienced this at one point and thought it was fuel level, had my wife deliver me some fuel and it only took about 3 gal. After filling up all good, changed to high octane fuel thinking that may be better for the engine, then experienced the problem again. But this time I clocked miles at 178 miles since full and pulled into fill up and now fine again.

Could there be a problem with the fuel pump, hose not sitting low enough to get me to the reserve level and actually turn on the low fuel light? I will be monitoring the 178 ,mile mark again to perhaps avoid the issue but nerve racking nonetheless.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I just did spark plugs on my ‘09 F800GS. I had to dig in deep to do it. There are 2 hoses that seems to have something to do with the idle that were in bad shape on all 4 ends.
Perhaps with the same vintage you have something similar going on.
The hoses were called “idle actuator” hoses. I did a work-around and since ordered the set from MAX.
The bike would just shut off at idle but would instantly restart.
Good luck.
OM

I just did spark plugs on my ‘09 F800GS. I had to dig in deep to do it. There are 2 hoses that seems to have something to do with the idle that were in bad shape on all 4 ends.
Perhaps with the same vintage you have something similar going on.
The hoses were called “idle actuator” hoses. I did a work-around and since ordered the set from MAX.
The bike would just shut off at idle but would instantly restart.
Good luck.
OM

Thanks, I will look into that for sure. I just don't understand how everything is fine for the 178+/- miles and then it decides to act up.

Another idea for stalling problems & easy to do

I experienced similar issues with my scarver. It would even die at slow speeds after starting. Try holding the start button for a five count instead of letting go as soon as it fires up. Apparently the computer must go through a check before it deems the bike ready to roll. Also be sure to let all the dashboard "check lights" go out before starting. I have had no problems since holding the starter button. Do this EVERY time you start the bike. Yes, it is annoying and your riding buddies will have to wait a few extra seconds, but much better than stalling out repeatedly.

May have already been said but:

Unplug your battery for 24 hours reset the ECU.

Put in an iridium spark plug.

Had the same problem with my 2001 F650GS. Watched a video by Kurt, he suggested this, worked like a charm.

Back