Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new beemer rider.. 2012 K 1600 GTL

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdiyguy View Post
    Thankfully it has the guard bars on it (with a scuff on one of them.. oops, well saved!) but awesome advice there as well. Thank you!
    Ok, I took a second look, the black bars blend in well.

Ride it a while and you will figure out what you want to change or keep. Mods and accessories also depend on the type of riding you do. Accessories for short day trips are often different compared to long distance touring.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Welcome to the best sport touring bike made!
    You'll want a few things right off the bat, new seat (you have that covered but RDL seats are simply the best)
    Grip puppies
    Hex EZ can to control all your lighting options.
    Check those tires, the front tire look awful. There are only a handful of tires that are compatible with this heavy touring bike. It eats tires in about 4-6k miles
    Get rid of those floorboards asap unless you'll only run slab, they will be a pita. That's a HD thing
    You can't retrofit hill assist with this year bike.
    Don't get all bunched up about what you're going to do to the bike until you have several thousand miles on the bike. it's a different beast, learn it and go slow. If you get in trouble with this bike, it's tough to manhandle and you will be in over your head in no time.
    Take a breath, enjoy the new bike.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdiyguy View Post
    3. OBD coding/reading/info? I am up to my eyeballs in tools, diagnostics, and tuning software for my car. Is there similar for the beemers? I would be shocked if there isn't. Bimmercode (for my car) is fantastic.
    !
    GS-911 is a popular scan tool for BMW bikes.
    Your bike will take the red unit with round connector.
    https://www.beemershop.com/category/...eemershop.html
    GS-911 Diagnositc Tool 10-pin Ted Porter's BeemerShop_2.jpg

There's also code readers out there that work with a Android phone app that costs somewhere around $100 for the reader and app.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Welcome to the best sport touring bike made!
    You'll want a few things right off the bat, new seat (you have that covered but RDL seats are simply the best)
    Grip puppies
    Hex EZ can to control all your lighting options.
    Check those tires, the front tire look awful. There are only a handful of tires that are compatible with this heavy touring bike. It eats tires in about 4-6k miles
    Get rid of those floorboards asap unless you'll only run slab, they will be a pita. That's a HD thing
    You can't retrofit hill assist with this year bike.
    Don't get all bunched up about what you're going to do to the bike until you have several thousand miles on the bike. it's a different beast, learn it and go slow. If you get in trouble with this bike, it's tough to manhandle and you will be in over your head in no time.
    Take a breath, enjoy the new bike.
    Thank you! The floorboards are coming off in a few hours, back to foot pegs. Each to their own, but I keep catching my feet on them every time I put my feet down! Rear footpegs are off as well, so will get those back on, also especially when the new seat arrives.

I appreciate the rest.. tires didnt look bad, but will look again. Bummer on the hill hold but understood, and just will be happy to get back out.
    Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube!
    ** YouTube BMW DIY Guy **

I wanted to update my post with my intro video I have created on my BMW channel on Youtube! The plan is to create DIY videos, travel VLOGs and more for the bike, and look forward to taking yall along on our adventures!

https://youtu.be/uaU25JKsiCU
    Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube!
    ** YouTube BMW DIY Guy **