• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new beemer rider.. 2012 K 1600 GTL

bmwdiyguy

Second post.. considering the first is over in the flying brick section, but didnt buy the 1200 LT.. fell in love with the GTL, so just got my offer accepted.

What amazes me? I have ridden sport bikes for 12+ years, and was STUNNED on how easily the GTL moves, agile, nimble, easy ride. It doesnt feel that big.. so I bought it. 8)

Welcome!
I have been behind the ‘1600s rolling fast.....2-up. I was amazed at what I was seeing. The handling was very smooth.
Good luck with your bike.
Gary

Welcome from Minnesota.
I ride a 2012 as well.
The more you ride it the more it will amaze you.

Joe

thank you yall! I am a super active BMW CCA guy, on the forums, even my own Youtube channel for that world. So this into the beemer world is new for me for sure, but am really excited! I should have the bike home in the next couple of days then the fun really starts! Really excited to start day/weekend trips 2up with my wife and work up to longer.

The first crazy/wild/amazing thing about the bike is the seat! The owner knows some famous guy who restores hot rods, which includes rebuilding seats, custom interiors etc. The owner had him make this 1 of 1 custom seat, completely unique, as a throw back style to some 1950s Harley he had once! Took the OE seat, used the base and rebuilt from there. Its actually incredibly nice, looks amazing but the only BAD thing is it is a 1up seat, really not 2up compatible at all which is why I bought the bike.

So.. researched like a crazed weasel yesterday and last night, and ordered the Sargent seat last night. I figure I look into maybe selling the custom seat to recoup the costs.. don't know yet. It really is amazing and looks GREAT, but just wont work for 2up. I will figure that out in the next week or two.

K 1600 GTL.jpg

k 1600 GTL 2.jpg

k 1600 GTL 3.jpg

Questions if yall dont mind?

1. Best place to buy parts? I know all the places for my BMW car, but looking at motorcycles is different.
2. Hill hold retrofit? In my test ride, I thought the bike had hill hold (and MIGHT) but it didnt seem to do so on uphill starts on a couple of small hills. I see there is a hill hold retrofit, is there any way of being able to tell?
3. OBD coding/reading/info? I am up to my eyeballs in tools, diagnostics, and tuning software for my car. Is there similar for the beemers? I would be shocked if there isn't. Bimmercode (for my car) is fantastic.
4. Recommended changes/upgrades/mods? Is there a list of typical mods or changes, software or hardware? I have ordered the Sargent seat yesterday to get back to 2up riding, and likely will sell the custom 1up seat. (no CLUE of what it would be worth), but looking at the other common list. I know the cars have common mod lists, I didn't know if the bikes had the same.

thanks!

I have no idea if the floorboards are a good thing or bad thing.
You might want to ask the seller if he has the OEM footpegs in-case you don't like the floorboards.

I have no idea if the floorboards are a good thing or bad thing.
You might want to ask the seller if he has the OEM footpegs in-case you don't like the floorboards.

Thankfully he does.. granted, ridden it only like 30min total, but I kept catching my feet on them as I would step down. I will put original pegs back on for now.

Thankfully he does.. granted, ridden it only like 30min total, but I kept catching my feet on them as I would step down. I will put original pegs back on for now.

Congrats on the new bike!!! I live up near Snohomish and just bought 2018 K1600GTL....

1. Best place to buy parts? I know all the places for my BMW car, but looking at motorcycles is different.
2. Hill hold retrofit? In my test ride, I thought the bike had hill hold (and MIGHT) but it didnt seem to do so on uphill starts on a couple of small hills. I see there is a hill hold retrofit, is there any way of being able to tell?
3. OBD coding/reading/info? I am up to my eyeballs in tools, diagnostics, and tuning software for my car. Is there similar for the beemers? I would be shocked if there isn't. Bimmercode (for my car) is fantastic.
4. Recommended changes/upgrades/mods? Is there a list of typical mods or changes, software or hardware? I have ordered the Sargent seat yesterday to get back to 2up riding, and likely will sell the custom 1up seat. (no CLUE of what it would be worth), but looking at the other common list. I know the cars have common mod lists, I didn't know if the bikes had the same.
thanks!

Just Catch Your Breath, Dude.

You have the rest of your life to get this project fully adjusted to your perceived needs. You've procured a Fun Project Bike - be Happy about that! Next thing U should concern yourself with is some On-Road Skills Training! YOU NEED TO GET FAMILIAR WITH THIS BEAST of a machine! Get some professional coaching from whomever you can register with... U may be an expert at CCA stuff, but you're in a whole new league now. Don't put your S.O. at risk by not being Totally Comfortable with the capabilities of said K1600, as well as Your Own M/C skills!

As is often said; 'You have to Go Slow, before you can Go Fast!

Good Luck with your Farkeling & your riding. All will work itself out, as long as you live to enjoy it...
Ciao! HSV-Phil
'14 K-GT,
'10 Kawa 250,
'06
red Sky,
'75 R90S.

:)
New-K1600-and-trailer.jpeg

I appreciate the advice.. and yeah.. modifying my riding style from an aggressive stance sport bike style, to more cruiser. It will be fun. 8)

thanks!

1. BMW motorcycle dealer if you have one close by. There are several online BMW parts outfits too. It helps to have a relationship with a dealer so it doesn't hurt to toss a few dollars his way.

2. Hill hold? Grab the front brake lever hard and release. If you have the option the brakes will lock and release as you let out the clutch, or if you grab the front brake lever a second time. You can try in in you driveway with the bike on, but not running. Grab the lever hard, release and see if the bike will roll. It takes some getting used to as you may have to give it a bit more throttle than normal when using it. Seems to me there is a light on the dash that comes on when it is energized, but maybe I am dreaming. Personally I don't use it much, I don't care how it releases when I take off. I will energize hill hold while I am waiting, then right before take off apply the rear brakes, hit the front brake to release the hill hold and take off normally.

3. There is a small selection of diagnostic tools, but most have some limitations. I don't know of any that let you just run wild through the BMW's ECM. Most all will reset the service reminder, read and clear codes, some will work the ABS brakes for bleeding.

4. Mods are a personal thing. Same reason God made blondes, brunettes and redheads, tiny women, big amazon women and everything in between. Seats for example, one guy hates one brand, the next guy loves them. For example, your single seat, you might want to keep it for the times you ride solo. It looks like it might be comfy. Many riders hate the OEM seat, I would like a different seat for my RT, but I don't dislike it enough to spend $750-$1,000 to replace it.

About the only thing I would recommend is a set of engine and pannier guard bars. BMW's are expensive to repair when dropped. My buddy dropped his new K1600 in the driveway, standing still and it was $1400 in parts to get it back in new condition.

1. BMW motorcycle dealer if you have one close by. There are several online BMW parts outfits too. It helps to have a relationship with a dealer so it doesn't hurt to toss a few dollars his way.

2. Hill hold? Grab the front brake lever hard and release. If you have the option the brakes will lock and release as you let out the clutch, or if you grab the front brake lever a second time. You can try in in you driveway with the bike on, but not running. Grab the lever hard, release and see if the bike will roll. It takes some getting used to as you may have to give it a bit more throttle than normal when using it. Seems to me there is a light on the dash that comes on when it is energized, but maybe I am dreaming. Personally I don't use it much, I don't care how it releases when I take off. I will energize hill hold while I am waiting, then right before take off apply the rear brakes, hit the front brake to release the hill hold and take off normally.

3. There is a small selection of diagnostic tools, but most have some limitations. I don't know of any that let you just run wild through the BMW's ECM. Most all will reset the service reminder, read and clear codes, some will work the ABS brakes for bleeding.

4. Mods are a personal thing. Same reason God made blondes, brunettes and redheads, tiny women, big amazon women and everything in between. Seats for example, one guy hates one brand, the next guy loves them. For example, your single seat, you might want to keep it for the times you ride solo. It looks like it might be comfy. Many riders hate the OEM seat, I would like a different seat for my RT, but I don't dislike it enough to spend $750-$1,000 to replace it.

About the only thing I would recommend is a set of engine and pannier guard bars. BMW's are expensive to repair when dropped. My buddy dropped his new K1600 in the driveway, standing still and it was $1400 in parts to get it back in new condition.

I really appreciate all of that info.. I just ordered a sargent 2up style seat, as while the uber-swanky-custom one only seat on it now is amazing, its not 2up compatible. I figure I will most likely try to sell the custom one to recoup the costs.

Thankfully it has the guard bars on it (with a scuff on one of them.. oops, well saved!) but awesome advice there as well. Thank you!

Thankfully it has the guard bars on it (with a scuff on one of them.. oops, well saved!) but awesome advice there as well. Thank you!

Ok, I took a second look, the black bars blend in well.

Ride it a while and you will figure out what you want to change or keep. Mods and accessories also depend on the type of riding you do. Accessories for short day trips are often different compared to long distance touring.

Welcome to the best sport touring bike made!
You'll want a few things right off the bat, new seat (you have that covered but RDL seats are simply the best)
Grip puppies
Hex EZ can to control all your lighting options.
Check those tires, the front tire look awful. There are only a handful of tires that are compatible with this heavy touring bike. It eats tires in about 4-6k miles
Get rid of those floorboards asap unless you'll only run slab, they will be a pita. That's a HD thing
You can't retrofit hill assist with this year bike.
Don't get all bunched up about what you're going to do to the bike until you have several thousand miles on the bike. it's a different beast, learn it and go slow. If you get in trouble with this bike, it's tough to manhandle and you will be in over your head in no time.
Take a breath, enjoy the new bike.

!

GS-911 is a popular scan tool for BMW bikes.
Your bike will take the red unit with round connector.
https://www.beemershop.com/category...r-bmw-motorcycles-ted-porters-beemershop.html
GS-911 Diagnositc Tool 10-pin Ted Porter's BeemerShop_2.jpg

There's also code readers out there that work with a Android phone app that costs somewhere around $100 for the reader and app.

Welcome to the best sport touring bike made!
You'll want a few things right off the bat, new seat (you have that covered but RDL seats are simply the best)
Grip puppies
Hex EZ can to control all your lighting options.
Check those tires, the front tire look awful. There are only a handful of tires that are compatible with this heavy touring bike. It eats tires in about 4-6k miles
Get rid of those floorboards asap unless you'll only run slab, they will be a pita. That's a HD thing
You can't retrofit hill assist with this year bike.
Don't get all bunched up about what you're going to do to the bike until you have several thousand miles on the bike. it's a different beast, learn it and go slow. If you get in trouble with this bike, it's tough to manhandle and you will be in over your head in no time.
Take a breath, enjoy the new bike.

Thank you! The floorboards are coming off in a few hours, back to foot pegs. Each to their own, but I keep catching my feet on them every time I put my feet down! Rear footpegs are off as well, so will get those back on, also especially when the new seat arrives.

I appreciate the rest.. tires didnt look bad, but will look again. Bummer on the hill hold but understood, and just will be happy to get back out.

Back