• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Denali b6 tail light on 2019 R1250RT without easy can

cereed0419

:)Hi guys,
Just bought a Denali B6 tail light to be more conspicuous. Trying for now to go cheap and just direct wiring to the bike. Maybe later getting the hex easy can or denali smart can bus.

Has anyone done this and been successful? The B6 has 3 wires black for ground, orange to go to the brake light wire, and red to the bikes running light. It says to not attach the red to the running lights but to attach the red to something like a accessory socket to prevent an error showing up on the dash of the bike. I figured I’d use the charging port on the side of the passenger seat.

I don’t know the colors of the RT’s running light (or positive for the charging port), brake light, or ground. Anyone know or have the schematic for the 19 R1250RT?

Also question 2: Any preference over the hex or the Denali cans? I don’t really intend to do anything other than the rear tail light since I already have the stock running light on the front.

Question 3: Does direct wiring my aux light void my warranty?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

Yes, but not successfully and on a F850GS...however the same "problem". I tired to use the license plate light power lead, but it threw a fault on the flat screen. Then used the front accessory lead and no fault however, the light was overpowering. I was going to get the CanSmart, but haven't to date. With it you can regulate the brightness and provides some other options. Without it it's just an additional - way too bright - tail light. Must add, this was a first edition, I understand the newer version is somewhat modified. Doubt your warranty would be void, unless you burnt the bike up with your wiring.

I saw the over powered lighting on a video and how the can smart can reduce it. (Both tail light and brake light). I hate shelling out another $260 on the Denali can smart just for the tail lights. Gen II easy can is $200. Wish I could just get a Gen 1 hex easy can. They are only $100 but not sure if they still sell them or if I can use on the 1250RT. Thanks

I looked for the wiring information I used for my 2018 R1200RT when I wired up my Unigo trailer. For what it is worth I did not use a relay or isolator, put LED bulbs in the trailer and wired it directly to the RT and it works fine.

For your Denali B6 I would wire it to the same wires that go to the RT's tail light and common. The B6 will operate at a lower intensity for tail and full on for brakes. Now if I could remember what the wire colors are! Some people will warn of a possible overload, but it will not damage anything if the load is too high the BMW ECM, (or what ever the proper name is), might see the increased load and trip out, remove the load and it will reset, no harm done. It will work, or not!

Maybe someone will come up with the wire colors. I will keep looking.

Brown is common or ground
Tail is Gray with black tracer, may or may not also have yellow dots.

(I think so anyway!)

If it helps, I use a couple straight pins, from my wife's sewing box, to probe the wires. Then clip on jumper leads to temporarily test the lights. If all test fine, then go a head with permanent wiring. If not, a drop of super glue over the pin hole to seal it up.

Plus make sure you test it well in both tail and brakes. It may not work! I am not sure of the load of the B6 but it would not be good to have it work fine for tail, and fail for brakes!!

Bypass Canbus completely.....

When I got my '16 RT I installed a PDM60 power distribution module that connects directly to the battery and will supply up the 60A from a total of 8 programmable, fused outlets. You can program each outlet to whatever amperage you'd like as long as the total doesn't exceed 60A. It's also very nice because you can set any/all the outlets to delay 7 seconds after the power is turned on the bike - this way you have 7 seconds of undiluted power for starting prior to all your bells and whistles powering up. I have LED lights (Denali DM 2.0), Denali sound bomb, USB outlets and other items connected through the PDM 60. No worries about CANBUS at all since you're not using the circuit. You won't have Wonderwheel control of anything but, realistically, there are a lot of farkles out there that don't ever need adjustment - they are either on or off. An Excellent piece of kit...

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/801...sdY_UGUgoqZYAmjpMOTzuZs5uujtbXlhoCGK0QAvD_BwE

Ski
PS. Not associated with ROWE Electronics in any way, shape, or form.

But the PDM60 is close to the the same price as the "can" controllers. The PDM60 is about $200, Hex EZcan is about $200, the Denali Cansmart is about $250. So similar price with less control.

Cereed, the brake light is gray/black with a yellow dots. Wire to this and brown for common. Your B6 will act as a tial light and brake light as long as it does not overload the circuit.

I have not tried it yet. Concerned about getting a coding error. I'm still researching the Hex easy can and the Denali Smart Can. I like the flashing when decelerating or breaking. This would be better. Currently Denali is out of stock.

I may put D4's or S4's on the front if I get the canbus.

Think about it. You can try it, temporarily wire it in, it will work or not. If it works, wire it up permanently, if not buy a "can" and use that.

Back