• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Production

scottaxner

Has anyone heard if BMW has started production again? I know it was supposed to be in April, but no word on website.
I am ordering a fully loaded F900xr.
thanks!

Has anyone heard if BMW has started production again? I know it was supposed to be in April, but no word on website.
I am ordering a fully loaded F900xr.
thanks!

I'm not sure where final assembly is done on that model, the engine is produced in China.

Don't tell me we are going to have another Chinese Beemer

The F750/850GS models, as well as the new F900 models, all use chinese designed/built engines manufactured by Loncin. So you get a Bavarian bike with a chinese engine.

None on mine.

Lets see. K1600 transmissions. K1600 water pumps. R1250 brake calipers. R1200 shocks. K1200 final drives. R1150GS final drives. R1200 and R1250 camshafts. So how many of these were made in China? How many made in India? Clue - the answer is, as far as I can find out = zero. The possibility is that German exceptionalism is nowadays as elusive as American exceptionalism.

Last edited:
Lets see. K1600 transmissions. K1600 water pumps. R1250 brake calipers. R1200 shocks. K1200 final drives. R1150GS final drives. R1200 and R1240 camshafts. So how many of these were made in China? How many made in India? Clue - the answer is, as far as I can find out = zero. The possibility is that German exceptionalism is nowadays as elusive as American exceptionalism.

+1

Many companies have problems with production. The 1st 1500 or so Chinese f-twins produced by Loncin were recalled due to lubrication issues (Europe sales). India’s ByBre brake calipers forced a stop sale on bikes and scooters in the US.

I wouldn’t be concerned about country of origin, but as a consumer do expect a lower price point for products sourced from low-cost labor markets. A Loncin 750 motorcycle might be a very good value.

Parts for their smaller engines are very affordable:

http://kazumausaonline.com/chinese-atv-parts-loncin-engine-parts-c-145_97.html

Was the engine designed by Loncin or BMW?

Big difference between Chinese designed vs Chinese manufactured (i.e. iPhone).

I have 3k on my F850GSA. No issues to date.

Was the engine designed by Loncin or BMW?

Big difference between Chinese designed vs Chinese manufactured (i.e. iPhone).

I have 3k on my F850GSA. No issues to date.

To the best of my knowledge, BMW does not have a parallel twin design of its own. Previous parallel twins (i.e. the 800 cc engine) were purchased from Rotax in Austria.

My understanding is that the 850/900 engine is entirely a chinese Loncin design.

So a new poster asks if anyone knows if BMW production has resumed and we almost immediately veer off into where things are made and the resulting quality, or lack thereof, of those products. Surprisingly, we haven't heard back from the OP.

I must admit I swing by the MOA forums mainly for the laughs
But you have identified the chief source of my amusement
Sometimes I’m amazed how quickly and completely threads go off topic around here
This thread being a prime example
I suspect the OP learned his lesson
Never ask for advice or pose a question on an MOA thread
Because you’ll probably get advice you did not seek or answers to questions you didn’t ask

I must admit I swing by the MOA forums mainly for the laughs
But you have identified the chief source of my amusement
Sometimes I’m amazed how quickly and completely threads go off topic around here
This thread being a prime example
I suspect the OP learned his lesson
Never ask for advice or pose a question on an MOA thread
Because you’ll probably get advice you did not seek or answers to questions you didn’t ask

The OP was asking when production would resume at BMW motorcycles, and specified the model he/she is hoping to order. Since chinese engines are used in this model, and China has experienced major manufacturing disruptions due to the coronavirus, it is perfectly on topic to mention the country of origin for the engine used in this model, as it may have a bearing on when production will resume every bit as much as what is happening at a BMW factory in Germany.

The OP was asking when production would resume at BMW motorcycles, and specified the model he/she is hoping to order. Since chinese engines are used in this model, and China has experienced major manufacturing disruptions due to the coronavirus, it is perfectly on topic to mention the country of origin for the engine used in this model, as it may have a bearing on when production will resume every bit as much as what is happening at a BMW factory in Germany.

Or, a BMW factory anywhere. I have no clue where final assembly of these models is done. The conversation in the thread highlighted the challenge of asking about production when it could be done in numerous places.

The BMW Forum is what it is. BMW riders are an opinionated bunch. Usually well educated and knowledgeable. If you don't want to know how to build a clock - don't ask what time it is - on the BMW Forum.

Sam

Back