Thread: Aftermarket Handlebars for K75s?

JohnWC

Aftermarket Handlebars for K75s?

I got my bars off, and as I suspected, one side is bent down about 3/4". I can't seem to find any on Ebay or Beemer Boneyard. The aftermarket ones shown on Ebay won't fit. Anyone seen a source for aftermarket bars? BMW wants $166 for a set of new ones.

I tried putting them in a vice but they just slip around as you try to bend them. If I heat them I'll burn off the paint, which I figure is pretty good paint. Plus, I'm not sure that won't weaken them.
    I could put them back on the bike to bend them, but I'm leery of possibly breaking the aluminum mounts and then having to replace the whole top of the triple tree. They are, as expected, very stiff and tough. Anyone actually had success bending bars back?

good luck, never give up

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    I got my bars off, and as I suspected, one side is bent down about 3/4". I can't seem to find any on Ebay or Beemer Boneyard. The aftermarket ones shown on Ebay won't fit. Anyone seen a source for aftermarket bars? BMW wants $166 for a set of new ones.

I tried putting them in a vice but they just slip around as you try to bend them. If I heat them I'll burn off the paint, which I figure is pretty good paint. Plus, I'm not sure that won't weaken them.
    I could put them back on the bike to bend them, but I'm leery of possibly breaking the aluminum mounts and then having to replace the whole top of the triple tree. They are, as expected, very stiff and tough. Anyone actually had success bending bars back?
    sounds like you put yourself in a difficult position, but that is what life and fun is all about

Years ago we used to clamp handlebars in a vise using hardwood blocks with an appropriately-sized V-groove cut down the center. Bars were then straightened using a 3ft length of 1.25” black iron pipe, with the bars clamped such that the bending force was being applied horizontally against the vise.

The issue you’re up against with aftermarket bars is that BMW bars are a different diameter than Japanese or other bars. BMW control perches generally won’t mount correctly on 7/8” aftermarket bars. The only source of correctly-sized aftermarket BMW bars that I know of is Flanders, and if you search for “Flanders handlebars for BMW” and don’t find a suitable bar in the results you may be out of luck.

Good luck with your repair and hope you get back on the road soon.

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Do a search for 22 mm handlebars and go from there. Be sure you are seeing true 22mm bar.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Go to motobrick.com. It is the place for brick info. Check the classifieds there and put up a WTB ad. I am sure someone will have some bars.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

3 Red Bricks
    John,

DeVern's (GTRider) method of straightening the bars works just fine, but you need a large vise mounted solidly to a stout bench.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    John,

PM sent.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss