• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aftermarket Handlebars for K75s?

I got my bars off, and as I suspected, one side is bent down about 3/4". I can't seem to find any on Ebay or Beemer Boneyard. The aftermarket ones shown on Ebay won't fit. Anyone seen a source for aftermarket bars? BMW wants $166 for a set of new ones.

I tried putting them in a vice but they just slip around as you try to bend them. If I heat them I'll burn off the paint, which I figure is pretty good paint. Plus, I'm not sure that won't weaken them.
I could put them back on the bike to bend them, but I'm leery of possibly breaking the aluminum mounts and then having to replace the whole top of the triple tree. They are, as expected, very stiff and tough. Anyone actually had success bending bars back?

good luck, never give up

I got my bars off, and as I suspected, one side is bent down about 3/4". I can't seem to find any on Ebay or Beemer Boneyard. The aftermarket ones shown on Ebay won't fit. Anyone seen a source for aftermarket bars? BMW wants $166 for a set of new ones.

I tried putting them in a vice but they just slip around as you try to bend them. If I heat them I'll burn off the paint, which I figure is pretty good paint. Plus, I'm not sure that won't weaken them.
I could put them back on the bike to bend them, but I'm leery of possibly breaking the aluminum mounts and then having to replace the whole top of the triple tree. They are, as expected, very stiff and tough. Anyone actually had success bending bars back?

sounds like you put yourself in a difficult position, but that is what life and fun is all about

Years ago we used to clamp handlebars in a vise using hardwood blocks with an appropriately-sized V-groove cut down the center. Bars were then straightened using a 3ft length of 1.25” black iron pipe, with the bars clamped such that the bending force was being applied horizontally against the vise.

The issue you’re up against with aftermarket bars is that BMW bars are a different diameter than Japanese or other bars. BMW control perches generally won’t mount correctly on 7/8” aftermarket bars. The only source of correctly-sized aftermarket BMW bars that I know of is Flanders, and if you search for “Flanders handlebars for BMW” and don’t find a suitable bar in the results you may be out of luck.

Good luck with your repair and hope you get back on the road soon.

DeVern

Go to motobrick.com. It is the place for brick info. Check the classifieds there and put up a WTB ad. I am sure someone will have some bars.

John,

DeVern's (GTRider) method of straightening the bars works just fine, but you need a large vise mounted solidly to a stout bench.

:dance:dance:dance

Back