• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 1200GS leaking transmission fluid after storage

KARSTEN

good afternoon,
I have recently moved from Alabama to Indiana, a very lengthily process. While I was sorting all the details, I pretty much had my bike set up (storaged) for about 18 months.
Before i put the bike up I had changed all fluids. It is finally warm enough to ride bike in north east Indiana, took it out for a short run and noticed a leak.
Took plate off from under engine today to investigate and I found it is not leaking from any of the fill/drain openings. It looks to be coming from back of engine where tranny attaches, sitting on the bike it would be right hand side.
Could it be that seals may have dried out during storage? If so, is there a tranny fluid that would have some 'swelling agents' in it? I am currently running synthetic tranny fluid. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as always.
thanks, Karsten in Fort Wayne

good afternoon,
I have recently moved from Alabama to Indiana, a very lengthily process. While I was sorting all the details, I pretty much had my bike set up (storaged) for about 18 months.
Before i put the bike up I had changed all fluids. It is finally warm enough to ride bike in north east Indiana, took it out for a short run and noticed a leak.
Took plate off from under engine today to investigate and I found it is not leaking from any of the fill/drain openings. It looks to be coming from back of engine where tranny attaches, sitting on the bike it would be right hand side.
Could it be that seals may have dried out during storage? If so, is there a tranny fluid that would have some 'swelling agents' in it? I am currently running synthetic tranny fluid. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as always.
thanks, Karsten in Fort Wayne

The first thing I would do is switch from synthetic to non synthetic gear oil. Often this stops leaks.

I have considered that. The bike is still new to me, basically bought it right before I put it in storage. Bike had all synthetics in it from previous owner.
Is there any preferred transmission fluid on your part ? Non synthetic.
Thanks for your input

I have considered that. The bike is still new to me, basically bought it right before I put it in storage. Bike had all synthetics in it from previous owner.
Is there any preferred transmission fluid on your part ? Non synthetic.
Thanks for your input

I prefer Castrol 80W90 "Limited Slip", but any GL5 rated 80W90 hear oil will be just fine.

I have the bike on trickle charger while sitting in the garage, anyway was ready to take bike for warm-up around the block, click, click, nothing.
I will have to locate a new battery for the bike and change fluids after I can get everything up to operating temps. Are there any preferred batteries
for this bike ?
Thanks,
Karsten

I have the bike on trickle charger while sitting in the garage, anyway was ready to take bike for warm-up around the block, click, click, nothing.
I will have to locate a new battery for the bike and change fluids after I can get everything up to operating temps. Are there any preferred batteries
for this bike ?
Thanks,
Karsten

This is my favorite, although my current battery is BMW branded.

Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery

Btw, I think Mr. Glaves is right on about the oil. On older equipment like yours and mine synthetic may cause the otherwise inexplicable leak.

yes, It looks like the Yuasa has a lot of good reviews and should not require any mods. There are a lot of great reviews also for Odyssey Batteries
that require minor modifications, I was looking for straight forward drop-in replacement. The Yuasa should do that. Thanks

so, new battery came in yesterday, let it charge and installed in the bike few moments ago.While I was waiting on Battery to come in I went ahead and changed all fluids, Mobil1 synthetic 15W-50 and new filter, changed tranny from synthetic to 80W-90 gear oil. Took bike for short ride (3Miles), back into Garage, saw no leak. Excited !
Went back after 15 minutes to check again, leaking, now not so excited. Any suggestions ?
Strange thing is before I put it in Storage, prior to moving, I had no issues at all. When I was riding Airheads, some years ago, I had an issue with one of the bikes leaking, I do not remember the specifics but Someone recommended I should change engine oil to Golden Spectro for it contains certain "Seal swelling agent". I changed, problem solved on the Airhead. Could the same apply here ?
Thanks in advance.

update, I cleaned everything up again this morning, prodded some more, not leaking from head, took it out again for 10 mile run and it is not leaking. I guess Paul's advise to change from synthetic to 80W-90 gear oil was spot on. Guess the fact that bike has been sitting in storage did not help matters.Thanks all for the input, great to be able to tap into all the knowledge.

Back