• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS front end clunking noise.

mcmlcccvrs

I took my bike out for the first time ever Saturday (yesterday) afternoon. I noticed a clunking noise coming from the front end on bumps. When I got home I investigated. When sitting on the bike, front brakes on and compressing the front shocks, there was a clunking noise on rebound, not when compressing. I didn't have to compress the front forks but an inch and when they rebounded I heard the noise and felt it through the handlebars. The loudness on rebound was directly related to how much I compressed (how hard I pushed) the front forks to begin with. I can't honestly remember if it was something I heard before or not.

The only thing I noticed after removing the fork caps was the left fork tube was maybe 2-3mm lower than the right at the top of the upper fork bridge. I rectified that. That wasn't the source nor did I think it was going to be. I have 360ml (cc is the same) of fresh 5W in each fork leg-volume taken from Clymer manual.

I jacked the bike up under the engine and re-checked how free the steering moved as I had checked this some time before. It moved easily and there wasn't any sign of a hitch or being loose. Is this pointing towards steering stem servicing of some kind? Not afraid to dive into it if I have to as it would appear that there is sufficient clearance for the forks to drop out after removing the wheel.

I didn't really notice any issues while riding as it was quite windy and I was getting kicked around pretty good even though I did find a section of road and took it to 100mph.

30,000 miles on bike and I have no idea when, or if, it ever had steering head servicing.

Photo attached of bike as I was riding around the foothills of Southern Alberta southwest of Calgary.

XA84GR.jpg

I suspect you are hearing spring "slap". When you compress a coil spring in a fork it will curl so the center of the spring is against the inside of the fork tube. When the compression is released if there is very little preload the spring may straighten and "slap" the opposite side of the fork tube when doing so.

If your steering head bearings were loose enough you could hear them you would barely be able to steer the bike while decelerating.

Last edited:
"They all do that". I've been waiting since 1985 to say that and mean it. Our mechanic had two phrases, " They all do that." and "Never saw that before." Used to believe him until my brother and I had identical issues on our '85 K100RS and the mechanic told each of us a different line. Oops. :)

I forget the company but they used to sell a spring stiffening kit. A piece of sch 40 PVC pipe would also work. The clunk is especially noticeable on grass or dirt. It won't hurt a thing. Stiffening up the forks with the fore mentioned spacer will help the clunk and the handling. It's been too long for me to remember the specs but someone here surely has that written on a sheet of paper on their workbench and will chime in.
IMG_0071.JPG

Okay. So the engine whines and the forks clunk. Thanks, guys.

You can make the klunk go away by adding preload spacers atop the fork springs. Generally if the klunk is happening the forks are under sprung or the springs are tired.

Back