• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Still more ESA questions - ‘08 RT

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
Howdy all, the ESA on my ‘08 RT is,basically, inop. For now, I’m riding it as-is, my questions are for planning future repairs/upgrades. I’ve been reading here, and watching Ted Porter’s and other videos on YT. What I think I’ve got - both damping mechanisms ( bottom of both shocks) and preload adjuster don’t operate. What I THINK I understand - damping mechanisms get “crudded up” and must be replaced, those are available; preload mechanism is not repairable and not available unless a salvage part can be found - correct?

Regarding the preload mechanism - I got the weight off the back tire, cycled through the settings, I could see no movement at the top of the shock. I have a GS911, I saw no error codes. I understand that there may be a software upgrade for the whole bike that increases allowed current to the damping mechanism motor, that must be installed by the dealer, $$. And, the software upgrade may not “fix” the damping mechanism not operating.

So - is my understanding on track? Any additional or alternate insights? Thanks in advance!

Marty

Since you have a GS-911, did you try to recalibrate it?
You would see it move and know if it works or not.

Since you have a GS-911, did you try to recalibrate it?
You would see it move and know if it works or not.

Calibration only works with a Hall effect preload sensor, so I'm not sure a 2008 can be calibrated. When did BMW switch from the potentiometer sensor to the Hall effect sensor?

The parts fiche suggests that change took place after 7/2008, which would be the 2009 model.

Still, checking with the GS-911 is a worth a try. If calibration is not an option, the GS-911 will say so.

Calibration only works with a Hall effect preload sensor, so I'm not sure a 2008 can be calibrated. When did BMW switch from the potentiometer sensor to the Hall effect sensor?

The parts fiche suggests that change took place after 7/2008, which would be the 2009 model.

Still, checking with the GS-911 is a worth a try. If calibration is not an option, the GS-911 will say so.

The 08 has the Hall sensor. (At least some of them) That's the year they switched.

I replaced my 07 rear strut with one that came from a 08 and it has a Hall sensor.

IIRC I was able to calibrate my 07 strut with my GS-911 before switching to the "new" one.

Thank you, Gents!

I was aware of the requirement for the Hall Effect sensor, I’ll find out about that when I give this a try.

I have some “logistics challenges” so it will be a bit before I can attempt the recalibration, but I will give that a try, and post results for anyone else who may need the info.

Thanks again, be safe!

Marty

Back