• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A question for you anal clean freaks out there

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I have a pair of boots which have cast into the plastic heel cup and plastic shin guards raised lettering with the name of the company in white. Over time, these white letters have begun to yellow from either the sun, UV, heat or a combination of the three. I have tried every cleaner I know of to try to get them back to white but no luck.

Any advice short of "Buy new boots" would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your ideas and/or smartass comments. :)

Last edited:
I don't know about the other "anal clean freaks" but I would use a bidet...... :wave

I don't think any cleaner is going to work. They are probably like stained teeth and may perhaps respond to some unknown chemical that will eat away the leather of the boots. Besides replacing the boots you could just live with the discoloration. Baring that hideous and preposterous path, you could perhaps find a paint that is made for plastics and repaint them in the color of your dreams. There are plastic primers and paints available. It will require patience, a steady hand and time. Free time is something we all seem to have an ample supply of at the moment.

Last edited:
The plastic has probably changed color from UV radiation and there is nothing that will change it back. So you can paint it or otherwise live with it I think. Good luck.

7 responses and 3 smartass remarks, including Kevin's response with both - a good ratio! :)

No, the lettering isn't/wasn't reflective.

I fear that Paul has the cause nailed and its what I suspected. As I'm neither Van Gogh nor Picasso painting isn't an option. I guess I'll just have to live with it, worthless grandnephew be damned.

Thanks guys! :thumb

Last edited:
7 responses and 3 smartass remarks, including Kevin's response with both - a good ratio! :)

No, the lettering isn't/wasn't reflective.

I fear that Paul has the cause nailed and its what I feared. As I'm neither Van Gogh nor Picasso painting isn't an option. I guess I'll just have to live with it, worthless grandnephew be damned.

Thanks guys! :thumb

Glad to help, anytime...…….

Your grandnephew will be glad to receive unadulterated goods without amateur painting. My painting skills might rival yours for inadequacy. :)

It's really a downside of death, that you don't get to watch extended family pick-over your old crap. Or, see their baffled expressions when the lawyer reads the will.

Boots

Let your bike get really crappy looking and people won’t notice boots
I don’t think most people notice boots unless someone is kicking them :)

Back