• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth Helmet System

jlhbmw14

For `16 R1200RT
Looking for a BT system for my helmet which will connect to radio, phone and Nav. The tech info making me dizzy. Any recommendations as I have heard BMW compatibility can be tricky? Just the system as I'm never giving up my Suomy helmet.

Look at Cardo. The Packtalk I have is so easy to operate that even a caveman can do it LOL!:) It hooks up to the Nav VI and the TFT I have on my GSA. The Sena system works too, but has more fiddly buttons to push vs the "Hey Cardo volume up" speech control... YMMV

BMW MOA Member Discount on Cardo Systems

The BMW MOA has a member discount arranged with Cardo. Here's a screenshot from the "Member Discount" page of the website:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.37.30 AM.png

May not need a Packtalk

The OP didn't say anything about a need to connect with other riders so a Packtalk may be overkill. If you want the speach recognition for a cheaper price the Cardo Freecom 4+ might be a better fit.

I have no experience with the Cardo system but I have a Sena20S and, while I admit it's a PIA to get everything connected properly, it's been rock solid for two years. I have my phone, radar detector, GPS, BMW stereo all prioritized just right and it sounds great through a Motocello bluetooth transmitter and in-ear buds.

I don't use the speakers in the helmet very often. Seems strange to drown out noise by playing something even louder. The ear buds provide some sound isolation.

Ski

I remain puzzled why we are all so forgiving of technology that fails to work. I suppose it is the "control - alt - delete" syndrome. We seem to be so used to stuff being a pain we just accept the turn-it-off or reboot syndrome as normal. If my car, my motorcycle, my refrigerator, my furnace, my TV or my shop tools behaved like this I would throw them away. But nonetheless, we seem to accept failure as normal. I can't even count the number of times I have read about how something sort of works but is a complete pain to make work right. Is that really where we are as a civilization? I suppose so, but we don't need to like it. Or do we?

IMHO most failures come from the fact that most people fail to read and comprehend the instructions that come with the technology..
Now if the tech seizes to work, then I too will either toss it out or repair where possible. YMMV

The Cardo Paktalk definitely too much for what I need.

I just need battery operated Bluetooth speakers compatible with BMW radio.
Cardo FREECOM 1+ Bluetooth Headset - Single Unit??

jlhbmw14 - I think the Cardo 25% MOA discount applies to any Cardo product. You could call Tori at the MOA office and make sure.

I remain puzzled why we are all so forgiving of technology that fails to work. I suppose it is the "control - alt - delete" syndrome. We seem to be so used to stuff being a pain we just accept the turn-it-off or reboot syndrome as normal. If my car, my motorcycle, my refrigerator, my furnace, my TV or my shop tools behaved like this I would throw them away. But nonetheless, we seem to accept failure as normal. I can't even count the number of times I have read about how something sort of works but is a complete pain to make work right. Is that really where we are as a civilization? I suppose so, but we don't need to like it. Or do we?

Paul, I have worked in "tech" most of my career and I share your puzzlement. My explanation is that far more resources are put into the development of new technology than into refining it. Why? First, new capabilities have very strong market appeal and generate money, and secondly why should anyone refine a technology that will be gone in 12 to 18 months?

However, refinement is happening. PC operation and support today is light years ahead of where it was 20 years ago - or even 10 years. In the PC world, Windows 10 supports far more devices and applications than prior versions and does so with typically far less fuss and bother. When Bluetooth first came out it was a trick to get things to pair and stay paired. Now that is a couple of mouse clicks or screen taps. The old Ctrl-Alt-Del thing really was a common solution to problems in the Windows 95 & XP days, but is virtually extent with Windows 10, along with the Blue Screen of Death.

I think it's hard to see this progress because so much is left to be done to improve both functionality and usability. By the time a technology goes main stream, it should be reliable, robust, and accessible. Far too much of it hits one or two of those, but not often all three.

If you want a system that works, you'll want the BMW Communicator, which you purchase at your dealer.

BMW expects the following ...

Bluetooth pair your phone to your BMW NAV

Hard wire your BMW NAV to your bike radio via existing wiring (GPS Preparation).

Bluetooth pair your bike radio to the BMW Communicator.

When this is accomplished, you will have full functionality of the handlebar wonder wheel and should you have rider and passenger Communicators, pressing the radio mute button will give you rider/passenger intercom. In addition, NAV prompts will interrupt radio music, as will phone calls ... which you control from the NAV screen.

Back