Thread: 2010 K1300s lower engine fairing paint code

2010 K1300s lower engine fairing paint code

Does anyone know what type of paint is used on 2010 K1300s lower engine fairings and side mirrors? The finish feels like a rubber coating, flat black. It can be scratched off with a finger nail. I called two BMW dealers and neither knew what it is. ColorRite also did not know what it is. If I paint it with flat black paint I will need to remove what is on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by beanpole View Post
    Does anyone know what type of paint is used on 2010 K1300s lower engine fairings and side mirrors? The finish feels like a rubber coating, flat black. It can be scratched off with a finger nail. I called two BMW dealers and neither knew what it is. ColorRite also did not know what it is. If I paint it with flat black paint I will need to remove what is on there now.
    I have no idea what BMW used but if I wanted to recover it I would use spray-can truck bed liner. You would not be able to scratch it with a fingernail. I did the fuel tank, top case (trunk) and panniers (saddle bags) with it on my original K75FT.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish. Did you get your bike new? If no, perhaps its been painted.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish.
    Same with all the K1300S bikes I have seen except the 2012 HP which had a blue belly pan.

Welcome to the site beanpole.
    Can you post a picture of the bike?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have no idea what BMW used but if I wanted to recover it I would use spray-can truck bed liner. You would not be able to scratch it with a fingernail. I did the fuel tank, top case (trunk) and panniers (saddle bags) with it on my original K75FT.
    That's an idea though I think bed liner may be too thick.lower fairing.jpg

Painting it with a black satin may work.
    I had a unpainted mirror I painted once with a black satin made for plastic and it looked ok.

I checked Beemer Boneyard and they did not have that part.

What about a carbon fiber belly pan?
    https://www.bestemusa.com/BMW-K1200S...Pans_p_68.html
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish. Did you get your bike new? If no, perhaps its been painted.
    I brought the bike used. It appears to be all original and no damage history until the kick stand tucked under and it fell. Left mirror.jpg.
    There is defiantly a coating of some kind on the plastic.

They make a thinner coating bedliner spray I tried with success. Satin appearance, not heavy textured

Maybe a Krylon product?

Ouch on the side stand mishap
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Same with all the K1300S bikes I have seen except the 2012 HP which had a blue belly pan.

Welcome to the site beanpole.
    Can you post a picture of the bike?
    Here is a picture of the bike before the damage.Oct 2019 (6).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    They make a thinner coating bedliner spray I tried with success. Satin appearance, not heavy textured

Maybe a Krylon product?

Ouch on the side stand mishap
    Thanks, I will check it out and will post how it turns out with whatever I use.

Quote Originally Posted by beanpole View Post
    Here is a picture of the bike before the damage.
    That bike needs a carbon fiber belly pan
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That bike needs a carbon fiber belly pan
    Double agreement on that.

And a rear hugger!

I painted my 07 k1200gt belly fairing & clutch cover shield at least 10 years ago. I used Rustoleum truck bed coating, it is not very thick like some of the bed liners, has a slightly rough texture like 220 grit sandpaper. It adheres well to plastic, I've sprayed it at car washes with no problem. I've also painted my saddle bag lids on the k75, & r100rs. Also did the plastic cladding on a Chevy Avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by mohler View Post
    I painted my 07 k1200gt belly fairing & clutch cover shield at least 10 years ago. I used Rustoleum truck bed coating, it is not very thick like some of the bed liners, has a slightly rough texture like 220 grit sandpaper. It adheres well to plastic, I've sprayed it at car washes with no problem. I've also painted my saddle bag lids on the k75, & r100rs. Also did the plastic cladding on a Chevy Avalanche.
    I used a similar product from Duplicolor on my K75FT expanded fuel tank, and Harley FLH topcase. In the process I discovered that if I sprayed from about 6 inches away it was quite smooth but if I backed the can away to 9 to 12 inches it became sort of gritty (from splatter I think). It was impervious to gasoline, car washes, scratching, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I used a similar product from Duplicolor on my K75FT expanded fuel tank, and Harley FLH topcase. In the process I discovered that if I sprayed from about 6 inches away it was quite smooth but if I backed the can away to 9 to 12 inches it became sort of gritty (from splatter I think). It was impervious to gasoline, car washes, scratching, etc.
    I think I have found the solution, a product called Plasti-Dip spray. It is a rubberized paint that can be peeled off if it needs to be removed. I have tried it on plastic surfaces and I am working on perfecting a smooth finish. Many very light coats. I am going to try Rust-Oleum Vinyl wrap. Stay Turned.